Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Putting together the Woodland Mills HM-130 Mill and Woodlander Trailer

I also have the HM130, bought it several years ago. It is not mobile, as I wanted to be able to cut 20' logs (much harder to find them straight in that length). Last year, I spent more time trying to keep the engine running than I did sawing, and finally decided that since it is not mobile, an electric motor was the right solution. $1000 or so later and quite a few hours puzzling over electric motor starters (that I was completely unfamiliar with), and it is up and running. Did my first cuts on a 20' x about 25" log yesterday. It went well, although there are design flaws in the machine so that it is not possible to center the log initially. I've got a plan to fix that. I will agree that Woodlands' customer service is awesome, but understandably were not really up on things when it came to the conversion. Now I've just got to figure out where the clog is in the lubrication system...

Monte, WM has a Toe Board accessory that is used to center the log vertically on the mill deck. I have one and it works well on logs up to the 10 ft length limit of my mill, but there is no way it could handle one 20 ft long. You are going to want a much more robust device and I would think a hydraulic jack would be the right direction.

Funny you had trouble with the gasoline motor on your mill. The Kohler on mine has given me absolutely no trouble; starts easily, runs great, very frugal on fuel. I'm surprised Kohler didn't make it right for you.

John

You should have assembled the trailer first and build the mill on the trailer and i suppose you could ask some friends for a couple minutes of help !

4. Hi, I am interested in doing what you did and picking up at the warehouse instead of having it delivered. But with the costs of fuel I m not sure I can justify it. Where exactly is the warehouse in Buffalo ? It might make it worth it for me. Any help is appreciated.

When I got my mill in 2019 I picked it up at the Speed Global Services Warehouse, 2321 Kenmore Ave., Buffalo, NY. I don't know if Woodland Mills still uses Global or not, however, so better check. The mill and trailer package I bought weighs about 1600 lbs so you'll need a trailer. The warehouse guys had no trouble loading the skids on my trailer.

How is the mill running? Are you happy with it? Just using it for your hobby use or trying to make money with it?

The mill has been nearly trouble free. I have at least 200 hours run time on it now. I had to replace the centrifugal clutch at 50 hours because of my error, but WM'S covered it under warranty. The toeboard wore out, too, due to poor design and WM'S replaced that, too, with a new unit of better design. I've replaced the drive and idler belts a couple of times and a couple of guide bearings, but nothing else. The unit has always cut great and continues to. It's easy to operate alone, too. Oh yeah, the factory ramps to load logs onto the trailer are up to the task with logs weighing at least 2500 lbs, but the factory winch is not. I replaced the winch with a 3500 lb electric one and put it on a new post that I welded up.
    I sell some lumber and slabs but it's still just a hobby. It's a great hobby mill, but I would want a larger mill with hydraulic loader and log turner if I wanted to make money with it. Mine has more than paid for itself, though, so I have no complaints.
    John

I don't think that would not be possible the way the millhead is assembled.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    The mill has been nearly trouble free. I have at least 200 hours run time on it now. I had to replace the centrifugal clutch at 50 hours because of my error, but WM'S covered it under warranty. The toeboard wore out, too, due to poor design and WM'S replaced that, too, with a new unit of better design. I've replaced the drive and idler belts a couple of times and a couple of guide bearings, but nothing else. The unit has always cut great and continues to. It's easy to operate alone, too. Oh yeah, the factory ramps to load logs onto the trailer are up to the task with logs weighing at least 2500 lbs, but the factory winch is not. I replaced the winch with a 3500 lb electric one and put it on a new post that I welded up.
    I sell some lumber and slabs but it's still just a hobby. It's a great hobby mill, but I would want a larger mill with hydraulic loader and log turner if I wanted to make money with it. Mine has more than paid for itself, though, so I have no complaints.
    John
    Thanks, I am interested in getting one, kinda looking for the same thing, a tool that can pay for itself. I like the idea of electric winch!

Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    Thanks, I am interested in getting one, kinda looking for the same thing, a tool that can pay for itself. I like the idea of electric winch!
    I don’t know the seller or how the price compares, but I pass this property all the time headed up to our farm. He started with this mill about 1 year ago and has already upgraded to a woodmizer, as I can see it from the Highway as I pass. Just picked up on this for sale listing yesterday. Long ways from Michigan but might be worth it if the order wait is still long. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9203660778717/

We ended up buying a Frontier OS23 for our use. Not as much capacity but fine for the trees we have. Decent quality and design. Was around the same price range as the Woodland Mills models but our wait was a lot less. Frontier is made by Norwood as their off shore line for cost savings.

Sharing the link above just in case it helps in some way. Good luck regardless of which mill you purchase.

thanks, I am not in a hurry just kicking around ideas right now.

Wow, I'm pretty sure he's asking for far more than the price of new. Wait times aren't that long anymore either. For $11k I'd be looking at the new Norwood mill, V36 or something like that.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Wow, I'm pretty sure he's asking for far more than the price of new. Wait times aren't that long anymore either. For $11k I'd be looking at the new Norwood mill, V36 or something like that.
    John
    Yes, it seemed high. Especially compared to our Frontier OS23. But for that money I'd just order a Norwood 27, 30 or 36 or a Woodmizer LT15 or LT15 Start and wait out the lead time. I just happened across that listing at the same time as seeing this thread and figured I would share.