Thread: search function

search function

OK Maybe not the right place to post but my search has to do with laser cutting and George and Gary are infamous for telling us to search and I always do and I always become frustrated with the search results and I end up reading hundreds of irrelevant stuff. So help me with the search function.
    I wanted to know what thin hardwood would cut easy on a laser. I did an advance search this is what I typed in

thin, hardwood, cuts easy on laser

this is what came up the first 10 results had nothing much to do with my ?serch results.jpgSo what should I ask for to find what I want????
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Sometimes changing some of the keywords helps. I tried laser cut thin hardwood and saw threads related to hardwood laser engraving.

In addition to the built-in advanced search, you can try a google search with the "site" option from your browser, for example
    site:sawmillcreek.org laser cut thin hardwood

With that, you can narrow the first search with exclusions, for example the "-" means not.
    site:sawmillcreek.org laser cut thin hardwood -plywood -drying -images

Search for google search tips for other options

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Sometimes changing some of the keywords helps. I tried laser cut thin hardwood and saw threads related to hardwood laser engraving.

In addition to the built-in advanced search, you can try a google search with the "site" option from your browser, for example
    site:sawmillcreek.org laser cut thin hardwood

With that, you can narrow the first search with exclusions, for example the "-" means not.
    site:sawmillcreek.org laser cut thin hardwood -plywood -drying -images

Search for google search tips for other options

JKJ
    just did that same search found nothing of what I was looking for. I want to know which hardwoods cut the easiest with a laser. I'm looking to cut 1/8th and which cut easiest Walnut, Hickory, Maple, Birch,Cherry ect ect
    I
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    just did that same search found nothing of what I was looking for. I want to know which hardwoods cut the easiest with a laser. I'm looking to cut 1/8th and which cut easiest Walnut, Hickory, Maple, Birch,Cherry ect ect
    I
    Do you have a laser? Maybe do some tests. You might keep in mind that within any species there can be considerable variation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I
    Sometimes the best search is to type in exactly what you are looking for. You want to know "which hardwoods cut the easiest with a laser", so why not simply google "which hardwoods cut the easiest with a laser".

Try this link http://bfy.tw/O824

What are you planning to use the laser cut thin wood for?

If for say "models" and other modelers use lasers to cut thins, then searching model building sites may get you better results as an example.

I would also assume that the regulars here that have lasers don't cut thins of different species or they would have jumped in with an answer or a link to a previous post.

From what I have experiment with on thin stock my 100w laser would be able to cut through any wood that is 1/8". Some may take higher power settings or more than one pass. I am pretty sure some woods burning would smell better than others. You are still going to end up with a burnt edge.
    The only thing I have read online is "Avoid oily/resinous woods."
    Last edited by Rob Damon; 06-16-2019 at 3:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    Sometimes the best search is to type in exactly what you are looking for. You want to know "which hardwoods cut the easiest with a laser", so why not simply google "which hardwoods cut the easiest with a laser".

Try this link http://bfy.tw/O824
    which is exactly what I did google says alder. I came here first as we all have laser cutters and figured asking here would get quicker and better results then google guess I was wrong
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 06-16-2019 at 5:52 PM.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Bert
    Can't help on the search issue but I have cut alder, maple, cherry, mahogany, walnut and oak with no issues. I would be leary of hickory and most exotics. I have also cut birch plywood with no problem as long as it was flat.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Bert
    Can't help on the search issue but I have cut alder, maple, cherry, mahogany, walnut and oak with no issues. I would be leary of hickory and most exotics. I have also cut birch plywood with no problem as long as it was flat.
    Thanks Mike
    T
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I have some thin cut Red Cedar which is not a hardwood I know but it cuts like butter.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I have some thin cut Red Cedar which is not a hardwood I know but it cuts like butter.
    ea Im not fond of cedar for engraving and might be to fragile for what I want to cut.
    Y
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander