It is time to repaint our house, garage, and barn. I guess it would actually be more correct to say re-staining.
Our house, garage and barn are all barn board and batten sided. True B&B, not a faux finished product. The material is rough cut 1x12's with rough cut 2 1/2" battens. The highest peak is about 24' off the ground.
Having just replaced the B&B siding on the dormer, and re-stained it with brushes and rollers, it is very tedious and time consuming to "cut in" the battens. Rolling the fronts of the battens, and the boards is pretty quick, but cutting in that edge is tiresome. I would like to find a quicker way.
I've looked at sprayers online, the big box stores, and rentals. There are a many different types available. It's kind of mind boggling. I've seen the roller systems that pump the stain through the handle that look interesting, but they won't let you cut in the battens.
I have the ability to use either an airless, or air sprayer. I have a suitable compressor, 17cfm@90psi, and enough hose to reach anywhere on the house, so if the sprayer relies on air that is not an issue. I don't mind buying a quality unit. Not professional I think, as those can cost $1000's, but not a piece of junk either.
It's the cutting in of the battens I am primarily trying to resolve, but I'm not against using a system to do the whole thing as long as it leaves a nice, durable finish.
Any tips or suggestions welcome.