Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How I do Dovetails

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Todrin View Post
    Jim,

I also like the look of continuous grain wrapping around the corners. To that end, will you show us your technique and jigs for blind dovetails?

Thanks

Michael
    I have a couple of tutorials on blind dovetails - here and here.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Todrin View Post
    Jim,

I also like the look of continuous grain wrapping around the corners. To that end, will you show us your technique and jigs for blind dovetails?

Thanks

Michael
    I found two photos of work on a box. I don't use the same proceedure for drawers because there is no miter for the drawer. For mitered full blinds I just use a paring block for the miters.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for sharing Jim. Interesting all the different ways of going about things. I usually do my miters after the dovetails and pare on a horizontal block. I like box and the decorative pieces for the handles are attractive.

Michael

Nice write-ups and a clear tutorial. Thanks for sharing that Mike

You said the tails are on the sides, which like Mike said, is reversed from normal drawer construction.

That said, I don't see the point in what you're doing.

If you don't like the look of DT's why not do it another way?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    You said the tails are on the sides, which like Mike said, is reversed from normal drawer construction.

That said, I don't see the point in what you're doing.

If you don't like the look of DT's why not do it another way?
    If you are suppose to cut tails on the front and back boards and not on the side boards of a drawer than I've been misinformed for 60 years. I like the strength of the joint just not the look. I also like mitered doors instead of butt joints. That doesn't mean I don't tenon them.

Get it right, and lighten up....then go look up the Underhill episode called "Dovetail Variations" on youtube....

Pins ARE in the drawer fronts, always have been. Tails are named that because they spread out like a Dove's tail...sheesh.
    Tails..
    chopped out.JPG
    need the botom tail to cover the groove for a drawer bottom, anyway...
    chopped.JPG
    And the infamous "Pin Board" with rebates and the groove..
    dovetails, end view.JPG
    Pins....keeps you from pulling the drawer front off of the drawer....in the humid August days, when drawers like to swell a bit...
    Ash Box 2, PIP 2.JPG
    With a small box...which ever way looks best...
    PIP, drawer details.JPG
    But drawers?
    Last edited by steven c newman; 06-17-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    If you are suppose to cut tails on the front and back boards and not on the side boards of a drawer than I've been misinformed for 60 years. I like the strength of the joint just not the look. I also like mitered doors instead of butt joints. That doesn't mean I don't tenon them.
    Sorry I meant tails on the front.

Anyway, I went back and looked at the pics again and I think I see what you're doing is a 1/2 blind on the sides instead of the front.

But my point still remains, I don't see the point in what you're doing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Sorry I meant tails on the front.

Anyway, I went back and looked at the pics again and I think I see what you're doing is a 1/2 blind on the sides instead of the front.

But my point still remains, I don't see the point in what you're doing.
    If everyone everywhere did everything the same way, we would likely all die young from boredom or at least the lack of ability to do something different when needed.

Personally, my fondness for the look of dovetails has me on occasion making drawers with through dovetails. Though knowing other do not like the look as much as me, some of my pieces are made with blind dovetails.

Unglued Dovetail.jpg

The tails were purposely made to stand proud. This drawer was assembled 5-1/2 years ago without glue and is still holding strong. Try that with pins on the sideboards. To me, the tails are the 'money shot'. If the drawer wouldn't be weak from such a construction, my drawers would have the tails on the front to proudly show off.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm not suggesting that anyone do tails this way. It's like chocolate or vanilla to me. I like cars with hub caps too. Nothing appealing to me about lug nuts showing. Makes a car look like a 2 and a 1/2 to me when the lug nuts are exposed. I've built plenty with dovetails showing because people want them showing. Some like them proud some like to cover them with cock beading. It's what you like when building for yourself.
    Jim