Thread: Refinishing Parquet Floor

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Refinishing Parquet Floor

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. Been coming across it for years though, looking into different aspects of woodworking. Mainly stain and polyurethane - although I'd really like to get into wood dyes and various other finishes. I guess this project helps with one of those.

We bought our house some years ago and it had parquet throughout except for bedrooms, bathrooms and stairs. We covered it with carpet at some point, and have now decided to pull the carpet and refinish the wood floors. A few years back there was some water damage due to a bad donut under a toilet, so given there was carpet over the parquet that was damaged, we pulled that back. Then we pulled up the old damaged parquet and leveled that spot off with plywood, laid the carpet back down.

Fast forward to the present, we now had to patch that spot in and make it match the rest. I got lucky on the first guess, as it was $100 for a box. So being wrong wouldn't have been ideal! Anyhow, we decided to go with 3# amber shellac, followed by dewaxed shellac, then flooring polyurethane. We've never finished or refinished hardwood floors before. Just wanted to share some pictures of the amber + dewaxed shellac (all the progress so far) as it really has turned out pretty nice. Next step is satin poly!

Tommy

--EDIT-- Sorry - being new to the forum, I didn't realize folks couldn't view picture attachments since May 2. Apologize for the tease!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Thomas Olesh; 06-14-2019 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Awareness of policy