Thread: Antique shop find

Antique shop find

I'm on vacation with the family in the mountains of North Carolina. Today we are staying in Ashe county and stopped in West Jefferson. There are a handful of antique shops downtown, so I popped in to take a peek. Only one had a somewhat interesting assortment of tools to look at. I ended up with this Miller Falls No 1708 brace. Don't have a ruler handy but I think it's 10" sweep?
    In great condition though, everything spins nicely, the wood looks lovely save for a small chip on the underside of the top pad. The jaws mate perfectly and still have their springs intact.
    I was going to offer $5 but the proprietor gave my son an old native American spear point for free so I just paid the sticker price of $8.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Nice find Steven. Of all my braces only one has been a Miller Falls. For some reason braces kept following me home. Having taken the oath, it now has to be something special before it can come home with me.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Bought that exact brace to replace 2 stolen 15 years ago from a storage unit during a move. Took a while to collect some drills but worth it. The level of drilling control is unparalleled.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!