Thread: Delta Table Saw just stopped.

Delta Table Saw just stopped.

I bought a Delta table saw 2nd hand about 2 months ago and it's been cutting boards fine...that is, until today when I attempted an 8/4 12" wide slab of maple that was given to me. I've been using a new thin kerf Diablo blade on the saw since I've had it so I kept the same blade for this maple slab. I checked the outlets to see if I tripped anything and nothing's been tripped. As far as the table saw motor, no smoke at all seen and no burned out smell either. I don't know the model number off hand but it's the $600 saw that's currently displayed at Lowe's. Any ideas or advice? Does anyone know this table saw better than me?

Blog Entries
    It may have overheated internally. Go back and try it after an hour or so. There may be a reset button on the front panel or on the motor.

Thanks Lee, I was wondering about a reset button myself but not that familiar with the saw and didn't get the manual.

Most of the Delta's have a reset button on the motor, usually a nice bright red. The real clue in your post was cutting 8/4 hard maple. Yup, push it a bit too hard or cut with a duller blade and the motor will trip to protect itself from you.

indeed you are both right! Read the manual online, found the reset button and I'm good to go. Yeah the 8/4 maple is tough to cut on that saw. Thanks guys for your help! The thin kerf blade wasn't dull but I'm sure it's a lot duller after attempting that maple slab!
    Last edited by David Tolsky; 06-13-2019 at 8:52 PM.

You are using a splitter, aren't you? If you're not using a splitter or a riving knife, the wood may be pinching the back of the blade. The pinching is what's really causing the power draw to go up. If you're seeing browning or blackening on the cut face, that is symptomatic of pinching. In addition to increasing the power draw, pinching is dangerous to you. The pinching may be enough to kick the wood back to where you're likely standing.

Blog Entries
    You don't mention what type of blade your using except that it is thin kerf. I would recommend a dedicated thin kerf ripping blade for 8/4 maple. Something with 24-30 teeth and a ripping geometry will help.
    Also make sure your using the shortest possible properly sized extension cord. Just a couple things that come to mind that you may already have covered.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Andrew makes a good point about the extension cord.

A few years back I bought a Craftsman TS at a yard sale. It was in the driveway 50" from the house, and I asked him to run the saw, so he came back with a ratty 100' extension cord that looked too skinny to be more than a 16 GA. The saw ran, but obviously too slow.

I told him it probably needed more juice, but he said it had been this way for a while. I took a chance and got it for $80, took it home and plugged it in and it ran great. Sold it for over $200 a few days later. This was back in my flipping days.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.