Thread: Thouhgts on this cyclone for sale in Modesto, Ca

Thouhgts on this cyclone for sale in Modesto, Ca

i saw this in my town for sale. They have been trying to sell it for at least a month. No real information, looks like a big motor, probably three phase? I already have a cyclone so no interest from me. The color looks like it could be a Murphy Rogers?
    I guess the motor is dismounted from the top. Some weird plumbing going on at the base of the cone.
    Bill D.

'https://modesto.craigslist.org/hvo/d/modesto-cyclone-dust-collector/6886482559.html
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 06-13-2019 at 6:33 PM. Reason: removed direct link

I can't see any size details but looks to be for fine dust. It was expensive originally with the involute inlet and the second cone on the bottom. Higher efficiency but also more pressure drop. Dave

As Dave suggests, not all industrial cyclones are optimal for a small woodshop.

I just recently passed on a 5HP Torrit, for $1200. It was close by, and guaranteed running well, but....
    Heck, I even passed on a 3HP, six year old Onieda for $1200, because I'm not sure how it would stack up against a modern one, or against a 5 HP Clear Vue. It's a very tough call, unless the price is incredible. There's one particular (& common on the used market) 5 HP industrial blower that only has a 12" diameter impeller. That's pretty silly

When you look at the evolution of "small woodshop" cyclones over the last ten years, there have been a lot of little changes.
    cone height, impeller diameter, impeller fin design, inlet size, how the dust is channeled when it enters the cyclone body, etc. And then you have the weight savings with the Clear Vue, which may not be a huge factor, but it sure makes them easier to get installed.

That Torrit I saw was probably ten years old, and it was designed primarily to run 24/7, not to maximize separation, or to be quiet, or ..... It was also 11 bloody feet tall, with the bin underneath!

So.. well... I dunno.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 06-13-2019 at 7:37 PM.

The Torit 20" cyclones made for 3-5 hp motors are very similar in design to Sternvent, Dustkopp, Air Sentry, etc. Cyclone design hasn't changed much over the years for commercial units, but they are expensive to manufacture due to inlet and helical baffle. hobby cyclones are designed to keep the cost down. The use of non metal materials have allowed for some improvements but a used commercial cyclone that isn't dented up is not a step down from a new hobby one. Dave

That motor is not a 5 HP, my guess it's at least 10.