Thread: Robo calls in Chinese?

Robo calls in Chinese?

I have been getting robo calls on my cell phone for a while now, but not nearly as many as I get on the home phone. Lately I have been getting calls in Chinese on the cell phone, but not on the home phone.

Two questions:

Anyone else getting Chinese calls?

Why do I seem to have a difference between the calls on cell and the ones at home?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I have gotten a couple on my google voice number but none on my land line or cell. It has been interesting seeing how Voice does the transcribing
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

we get them at work on a line with a Houston area code every few weeks or so.

I have received a bunch of the robocalls in what sounds like Chinese. Wonder what list of numbers they are working from. Hard to sell or scam if people can’t understand your spiel.

I get them Rick. Today I’ve gotten 4 spam calls on my cell and many more on the landline.
    Aj

Here in Canada, they are targetting Chinese immigrants trying to get them to pay for some family scares back in China.

7. Get them a couple times a week here in Atlanta.

I had 2 a couple months ago. Black listed them, and no more.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Wow,

I thought maybe I was special.

Seriously, there are quite a few Chinese in this area, so I guess it follows they would not be immune to the problem. Strange I never get any in Spanish, though.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    I just had my first a couple of days ago and it was on my cell phone. I gotta say that listening to that Chinese voice was so much more pleasant that hearing that ***** 'Sharon from Google' yelling in my ear.

I very rarely get marketing calls of any kind on my cell, but the land line at work gets at least 3 or 4 robocalls a day & many days 10+.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I just had my first a couple of days ago and it was on my cell phone. I gotta say that listening to that Chinese voice was so much more pleasant that hearing that ***** 'Sharon from Google' yelling in my ear.
    If I ever got any of these, it would be a good opportunity to practice my chinese.

They’re calling this one ‘vishing’ as it’s some kind of scam targeting Chinese immigrants, students, etc telling them their visa is in jeopardy requiring a trip to the local embassy and of course a payment. If you are near a university, you’ll get double the amount of these calls. It’s causing a big problem for VoIP systems especially.

I had a voicemail message in either Chinese or Vietnamese the other day on the house phone (VOIP). Nomorobo does a pretty good job on that line so it's certainly possible it was just a wrong number, especially in this area.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.