Thread: Entry level mills

Entry level mills

I am about to purchase a mill .Im sure it has been discussed here but I cant find it.I am looking at hobby milling just for my own personal use only.Im looking at manual mills. Ive looked mostly at Wood Miser LT10 and Woodland Mills HM 126. Anything in that price range yall would recommend other than those 2 or which between them? Thanks

I am not familiar with either one and so I for sure don't have any idea what they cost. I will say this as far as saw mills go, if they are small or you are limiting your ability to mill pretty decent size logs then a mill that size will quickly become something that has to be replaced soon. I get that saw mills are a substantial investment, but buying one that is small doesn't really make it an "entry level" machine. It's no different or easier operating a small capacity saw mill then it is a larger one and you can just as quickly not get the desired cut of wood from either one. Whether you are milling on a hobby level, that is to say just milling logs for your own personal use, or you are doing it for the general public has nothing to do with capacity. As a hobby miller you really need to have a big enough saw mill to cut the size logs you get. If you get a small mill and end up turning away many of the logs that come your way you are not going to be too happy about it. Again, I get the expense, but a larger machine will always have a better resale value. In terms of size the girth capacity is the most important. As a hobby woodworker you probably don't need boards longer than 12 or 13 feet in length. Most saw mills will cut at least that long, it's the diameter of log that you are primarily interested in.
    I have seen more than a few guys buy smaller mills and immediately end up regretting it and having to go bigger and spend even more when they would have been way better off to wait and save up some more to get one that will do the job. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Kemp View Post
    I am about to purchase a mill .Im sure it has been discussed here but I cant find it.I am looking at hobby milling just for my own personal use only.Im looking at manual mills. Ive looked mostly at Wood Miser LT10 and Woodland Mills HM 126. Anything in that price range yall would recommend other than those 2 or which between them? Thanks
    Sonny,

I don't have experience with either of those or know the cost. However, I've had the manual Woodmizer LT15 for well over 10 years now and I'm extremely happy with it. I mill for personal use around the farm and for the shop and occasionally for a few friends. I bought a bed extension so the mill will handle 16'+ logs. I also use it a lot with short pieces to cut woodturning blanks.

sawmill_gordon_jake_2_3_18.jpg sawmill_cedar_IMG_20171204_165233_909.jpg cedar_P9064287es.jpg

The manual mill is very easy to operate. The hardest thing is getting larger logs on the mill but I have a tractor and bobcat for that. Since mine is near the ground I have also loaded logs by rolling.

If you get over this way stop and visit and you can try it yourself.

JKJ

How large are the logs you want to mill? I just (two days ago) bought a Woodlander HM-130. I've been milling with a chainsaw mill for over 10 years and decided to stop at 30" even though I could often get larger logs. Without heavy equipment larger logs are just too hard to handle for me; even 30" is quite a challenge. I would have like if the HM-130 could cut wider than 22", but you have to draw the line somewhere on price and for my personal needs 22" is more than enough. If I wanted to sell live edge slabs, however, I would have had to get a larger mill, at least 36". So 30" max. log diameter with 22" cut capacity will work for my needs but yours may be completely different. So start with that basic question, not price, and everything else will follow.

Of the two saws you mentioned the Woodmiser will likely have a higher residual value, just because of name recognition, but I have been very impressed with the quality of everything in the Woodlander package I bought as I put it together. Everything fits together perfectly and all the components are well made and extremely beefy. If you do decide on the HM-126 I recommend you go with the 14 HP motor option. You can never have too much HP and no one ever says "This things cuts too fast.".

John

I admire you guys that do this...Returning to the original, natural source for your woods!!!
    Jerry

Cooks Mills are in Alabama, they have a heavy frame, and you can buy a small to medium size mill whatever you want to spend. I have their MP32 with the package 25 hp, power up and down, 16 plus feet capacity, trailer package, they have several packages. The main frame is made from 3x6 square tubing, solid mill. Mine is an 05 model, bought used, and have had very little problem. Replaced the drive belt last year and the guide rollers. My farm buildings are all full of wood, and I have sawn some for friends and relatives. It is kind of fun but hard work. Helps to have a skid steer to load heavy logs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Kemp View Post
    Did you purchase a mill? I've been looking online at the entry level mills. Really curious if the LT10 is good choice - the price is as high as I want to go.

Look at used mills. You might get a little more mill for your money.