Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will I regret selling the Incra Super System

Will I regret selling the Incra Super System

A few years ago, I bought the Incra system, Jessem router table and lift with all the bells and whistles, and seneca plate to connect the LS positioner to the Festool MFT, thinking I could start churning out perfectly dovetailed drawers. Never happened. I don't think I completed even a single drawer. I started cutting dovetails by hand, which is more my speed.

Nothing at all against the Incra product, as it seems to be wonderfully accurate and repeatable, but it just isn't compatible with how my brain works.

And Mark Hennebury's recent post reminded me that using the router mainly makes me tense. Woodworking is supposed to be therapeutic, not make me need therapy.

So the question I have is this: If the only thing I ever use the router table for is to put a profile on the edge of a board, and that is very seldom, wouldn't a homemade fence be much simpler and easy to set up? Or will I immediately regret it if I sell the Incra system?

Any thoughts?

What I value most about the Incra positioner is the ability to go back days later and have the exact and I mean exact same cut result location. No measuring needed. Yea it is pricey and the arm takes a lot of room when retracted. If your primary use is edge shaping then it is really not needed. On a router table it is most useful for spaced dado’s. I found I use it occasionally for finger joints but don’t like having to stand boards on end to do this. I had one on my cabinet saw and for that use it is awesome!

Hi Todd,
    I purchased the Incra LS Standard System earlier in the year. At that time, there was about a 2 month lead time due to high demand. I was just checking the Incramental website and I see that it indicates up to 9 weeks delay for orders on the Super System. So I would imagine that you would not have too much trouble selling it at a decent price if you decide to do so. I'm not sure how much you could get for it - maybe $250 to $300 range I'm guessing. The current price is over $400 for a new one. You could build (or buy) a pretty nice fence and have money left over. It would take up less room on the table, and would most likely be easier/quicker for you to set up and use. So if you don't foresee doing anything except simple profile edging with your router table - then I would say to "go for it".
    David

In my opinion, you answered your question when you wrote: "If the only thing I ever use the router table for is to put a profile on the edge of a board, and that is very seldom"....

Like you, the only thing I ever use my router table for is to put a profile on the edge of a board. (I also cut my DTs by hand.) So I have a very simple router table and a homemade fence. I've never needed more for the work I do.

So maybe try this. Take the Incra system off your router table. Pack it carefully, write the date on it and put it in your attic. Wait 6 months. If you don't miss it, either leave it packed or sell it off then.

Take care.
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 06-13-2019 at 6:37 AM. Reason: Shortened it
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Hi Todd,
    I thought about this since my original response. I agree completely with Frederick. Build the DIY router fence first and see how you like it. If you don't miss the LS system - then you might consider finding a new home for it.
    David

You can have my Incra system when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

I guess i already did the 6-month test. The assembled unit has been hanging on the wall rack for well over a year. Only time it’s moved has been to rearrange the wall rack.

Maybe I need to sell the entire setup and use the money to buy a set of hollows and rounds.
    Last edited by Todd Zucker; 06-13-2019 at 9:07 AM.

I have the earlier version of the SS. Mine is now about 25 years old. It is hanging on the wall above the shop door. For the most part it stays there, but I am not going to sell it because every now and then I really need it.

What I did was mount it on a sub base. I installed threaded inserts on the router table so that I can easily reinstall it when needed. I have a small shop so that thing sticking way out was an issue so that is why it hangs on the wall until really needed. I also made a simple fence that hangs on the side of the router table for "normal" use.

Would I sell it if I were you? Nope. Tools are something that wait until you need them. Sure as shooting, if you sell it in about a month or so you will wish you hadn't. It could be that right now you are not using it much, but your interests in woodworking could change over time and it would be handy to have it.

BTW, I think cutting dovetails with an Incra is a PITA. I have done it and it is a lot of fiddling around. To do dovetails I purchased a Porter Cable dovetail jig. Since virtually all drawers are made with 1/2 stock I have the jig set up to do them. It only takes a few minutes to adjust the depth of the bit in the router and away I go. Way, WAY faster than one can do them on an incra system.
    Last edited by Ted Reischl; 06-13-2019 at 9:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kuhlman View Post
    What I value most about the Incra positioner is the ability to go back days later and have the exact and I mean exact same cut result location. No measuring needed. Yea it is pricey and the arm takes a lot of room when retracted. If your primary use is edge shaping then it is really not needed. On a router table it is most useful for spaced dado’s. I found I use it occasionally for finger joints but don’t like having to stand boards on end to do this. I had one on my cabinet saw and for that use it is awesome!
    I love it on my table saw, but doubt I would get one for my router table.

Seems to me you have answered your own question and found a more desirable spot for the dough. Move on. At this point every time you see it hanging on the wall it will bug you. I've spent a lot of time on my shop made fence on my router table this past week and in the process have come up with an idea for my own router lift for my 7539 and made a couple small improvements on the fence along the way. Not as cool as the store bought, but for me and my use, a better value.

Part of the answer is whether you can get sufficient money from the sale to buy a high quality tool you’ve wanted and will use a lot.

I usually don’t sell expensive tools because the return may not be sufficient to make it worthwhile especially if I do use it periodically.

The Incra setup is something I can’t see ever selling. It’s just too accurate for any table router system. I couldn’t make something that accurate and precise.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cowan View Post
    You can have my Incra system when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.
    Pretty much they way i feel about mine.

Chris

I had the Super System when I had my router in the TS wing. I too had problems getting good repeatable DT's. I down sized my TS (actually tried to do without one) from a 3HP Uni with 52" fence to a smaller footprint 1950 Uni. Sold the Incra when I sold the big Uni and built a dedicated router table/cabinet with WP's top/lift/Super Fence and couldn't be happier. I also purchased a Leigh RTJ400 DT jig. I'm a hobbyist so don't make DT's all the time and found the learning curve, adjust-ability, and accuracy of this jig to be much better than the Incra and two P-C models I previously owned.

Mike

I got rid of mine because it was on a table saw extension, and just took up too much space. If I had a large router table I would have kept it. Its repeatability was superb.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.