Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Laser for Hobby use and stay under $2K budget

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    NOTE!! -Be sure to ask if tariffs/duty/etc is included in the shipping cost-!
    Good point, add it to my list.

Been looking at Corel Draw, and man, the search function is not helping. Most recent thread is 2 years old! Looking at Student and Home X8, and looks like wont be able to use it

- Some external file format support removed: DXF/DWG, DCS, CGM, JPEG 2000, etc.
    Assuming that the laser I get uses Corelaser (is that a typo, or is that chinglish?) then I would have to export to DXF, or does it matter? The first thing I want to do before plunking down a large sum of money is get to know the software. It being the biggest hurdle. There is also Student and Home 2018 available, but again, very limited.

Recommended version?

Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Well, somewhat useful, though it is a 3 year old thread and those versions are hard to find. Since I run windows 10 and Linux, and older than X7 doesn't play nice with Win10, I would want to get at least a stable version. Now comes my confusion, what the heck package do I get? Graphics suite? Technical Suite?

You may want to look into LightBurn software. It is getting pretty mature now and works with a number of laser controllers. Every user is different, but many users are finding they have less need to rely on separate design and graphics programs since LB is becoming so versatile. I know it can work with some routers but I don't know if it can work with your mill at this time.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

I use Inkscape for most of my designs it does most things I need at zero cost. Two of my lasers work well with Lightburn, the third has a controller that uses its own controller powercut. Lightburn has just added a text to path feature and I found myself designing a product in Lightburn saving it as a dxf and importing it into powercut, rather than using Inkscape.

If I bought a new machine today I would ensure it works with Lightburn. I asked that question when I bought a small Chinese metal tubed machine a few months back and the company said they now test that their machines work with Lightburn.
    Shenhui SG350 fitted with a 60w tube.
    Aeon Nova 10 100w tube.
    Aeon Mira 5030 30w RF tube.
    20w Fiber Laser.
    50w Fiber Laser.
    Located in the Isle of Man, which isn't in the UK but almost surrounded by it.

You want the CorelDraw Graphics Suite, not the Technical Suite. Any version from X3 on up will work fine but I usually stick with one version behind the most current until the first couple of revisions come out. Student and Home doesn't have macros enabled so there will be some functionality you will be missing and you can't upgrade to the next version. There are supposedly other features missing from the H&S version but I'm not sure anyone has a definitive list of exactly what the differences are between them. If you are running a business then 100% you should get the full version, and still about 99% even if you are a hobbyist.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Heide View Post
    Well, somewhat useful, though it is a 3 year old thread and those versions are hard to find. Since I run windows 10 and Linux, and older than X7 doesn't play nice with Win10, I would want to get at least a stable version. Now comes my confusion, what the heck package do I get? Graphics suite? Technical Suite?

Thanks to every one. So far I would say 90% of what I am trying to understand has been accomplished. The other 10% is in operation of the unit, but have to have one to even know, right?

So here is what I have so far. Controller, find one with a Ruida for best compatibility with software and drivers. Design software, Lightburn, or CorelDraw, and this is dependent on the controller since one works better with the other. The machine I have in mind will more than enough capacity for what my goals are. Cut2D pro is an option, need more research on it, but a friend of mine uses it for his CNC router and likes it. It is G-code based so will work with the Sherline,still researching it's use with a laser, some have made it work direct, others have not.

Since I want to have an all-in-one workstation to run both the laser and my CNC mill, which is Linux based, the Lightburn software appears to be a front runner, though I can network and use a winderz machine for the design software, so not locked into that, the real problem would be the drivers for the laser may not work on Linux.

One other option I am looking into is the Mach3/4 software which can drive both from a windows machine and I can ditch the Linux box for the Sherline.

Thanks to Kev for the IEHK link. I may go for the IE6040 once I nail down the software side.

I gave Cut2D a test drive. In 2 hours I have figured out how to get a copy of one of the parts off the PDF, layer it at the bottom, add layers on top, and then trace the part. Since it is a half section of the fuselage former, I then had to mirror it. Easily done. I think I spent more time mucking around with CorelDraw and getting no where than I did figuring out the Cut2D and getting a viable part ready to cut. Other than the actual dimensions, it could have been sent to a laser to cut it out with.

So one down.

Two to go.

I gave Cut2D a test drive. In 2 hours I have figured out how to get a copy of one of the parts off the PDF, layer it at the bottom, add layers on top, and then trace the part. Since it is a half section of the fuselage former, I then had to mirror it. Easily done. I think I spent more time mucking around with CorelDraw and getting no where than I did figuring out the Cut2D and getting a viable part ready to cut. Other than the actual dimensions, it could have been sent to a laser to cut it out with.

So one down.

Two to go.
    I use Aspire to do that and then just export it as a DXF

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I use Aspire to do that and then just export it as a DXF
    Aspire would be my entire budget! If I were ever to get to the level where a program like that would be a benefit, then it would make a good addition. For now looks like Cut2D will be top on the list. Unlimited trial period, so plenty of time to play around with it to make sure it is what I will need.

Check out Orion Motor Tech on eBay. They have several different laser models already in the country. I have their Blue and White 50 watt. Which I’m very pleased with. I’m also in contact with several people that own them. All are happy with their purchases. They are equipped with the Rudia controller. I use LightBurn to run the laser. You will also find them on Amazon for around $200.00 more than eBay. They are the exact same machines.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Been looking at them, and found that the majority of lasers are ll from the same manufacturer under different names and prices for the same package. I found an Epilog 24TT 40 watt. Since it is a solid state laser, that would mean better cutting power per watt, correct?

Aspire would be my entire budget! If I were ever to get to the level where a program like that would be a benefit, then it would make a good addition. For now looks like Cut2D will be top on the list. Unlimited trial period, so plenty of time to play around with it to make sure it is what I will need.
    I use Aspire because I have it for my CNC router Cut 2d will work as well

Thanks.

So, working through this now, and narrowing it down to an 80W 20 x 28 EBAY unit. Interesting how many different sellers have the same product, some are long wait shipping times, others are in warehouses in the states with a 5-7 day delivery time. Software will be the Cut2D, and may grab a home and student CorelDraw to play with photo engraving, in case the Cut2D doesn't do it well. The ones I am looking at use RDworks to cut/engrave with, so that's a plus, and I can download and install it to get the hang of it before getting the laser. Another plus is my 13 YO Daughter is an artist and can use Corel for some of her projects. Here is one of them, she donated two of her drawings for charity. Her other one is #111. She is excited that she could do that.

I am on the fence now, based on the controllers. What I can't determine, and a few hours of the "search" function has turned up ZILCH!

I was about to pull the trigger on this one for a few reasons, software, chiller and this engraver puts me at my $2K mark. However, look at the controller panel. I have no clue as to what kind it is, only that is is stated as DSP and uses corelaser. If the controller is junk, then add another $400 for a Ruida.

If that is the case, then would this one be a better choice? It puts me over the $2k mark though.

The smaller one is lighter, easier to move, but requires a platform to set it on, and limits the amount of work I can do.

The larger one has all the room I would need for every project on my list, has a stand and wheels to move it around on, but is very heavy and may be too difficult to get into my workshop(the ONLY reason I haven't purchased it yet).

Can anyone enlighten me on the type of controller that is on the smaller one and if it works with Lightburn?

Oh, one more thing. My workshop is in the basement, and the temps are around 68* on average, rarely above 70, and in those cases, usually because someone forget to turn the AC on on a 90* day! Will a CW3000 work OK for these with the knowledge that it will not be used for long periods at a time? Again, this is for hobby use and I don't expect to be running it for long hours burning wood parts.
    Last edited by Todd Heide; 06-24-2019 at 2:45 PM.