Thread: Laser Engraving Slip Size Overlap

Laser Engraving Slip Size Overlap

I have a Raycus 50w fiber laser which I am experiencing an overlap when doing rotary engraving only. 20190610_201157.jpg

Welcome to fiber rotary's. There's a whole bunch of issues going on-
    First, for the seams to line up perfectly, the diameter dimension you input must be nearly exact. And even you could be that close, the part must be perfectly round, and must rotate perfectly concentric to its centerline. Any deviation results in overlap or underlap (if that's a word ) -

Next up, the default steps of most Chinese rotary's, which can be changed on it's controller card, is set for 6400 per revolution. Sounds like a lot, but around a 9" circumference (2.86"/72.6mm diameter), the minimum step spacing capable is .001406", or .0357mm. I typically hatch fill at .04mm so it's pretty 'coarse'. Inside the machine you can change the steps, aka 'pulses per round' to one of many settings. I have mine set for 20,000. Not only does this make for better possible detail- step spacing is now .00045"/.00114mm @ 2.86" diameter- it also slows down the rotary's movement. At 6400, when it stops, it's abrupt and the whole rotary can still be wobbling after then next section is engraving...

That all said, the only way I know of to help with the seams showing is to use very small split spacing. I know some folks use a .01 split size, but in most cases with a 6400 step rotary, as noted above the smallest split the rotary will make is likely much larger than that. Increasing the steps will let you decrease the step size.

If your rotary is set for 6400 and you don't feel like tearing into the machine, try using the smallest split size the rotary is capable of- just a little math needed:
    diameter x 3.1416 to find the circumference, take that dimension and divide by 6400-- the result should be entered as the split size, and in a perfect world that should exactly = 1 rotary step... And it might even look good! Fair warning, it's likely to be quite slow going...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thank you this was very helpful, I made the proper adjustments and changed my split line mark "Y" value to something less then 0.1

Do you have any suggestion for bleaching polymer. I have tried many settings without success. The laser Freq range is 50-100