Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help - New Jointer or New Planer which one first?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help - New Jointer or New Planer which one first?

I have an old Delta 8" jointer - Yes shimmed and all
    Also have a Delta Lunchbox planer - Fast speed only works

I am looking to upgrade both machines but have to pick one first.
    Which one should i get?

Blog Entries
    That 8" jointer seems like it's in a better league than the planer. I would go for the planer. I got rid of a lunchbox for a 15" Powermatic with helical head. Big improvement. Someday I may upgrade from my 6" Delta jointer but I'm not in a hurry.

I'm with Roger.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I am with a Roger too...
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Planer first if you intend to do separates. But...this is certainly an opportunity to consider a J/P combo that will give you wide face jointing capability that matches your thicknessing capacity, too. And that comes in a more attractive footprint. Many threads here on J/Ps and many folks, including myself, enjoy them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Steve I would definitely say the planer is the weaker link in your system.Unless the jointer is a benchtop unit. Also have to say if i was doing it again I would lean towards the jointer/planer combo. That would have to be a 16''' unit for me now ,so would be expensive. So if separates Planer first or combo and you are done.Man it is fun helping other people spend money.

Blog Entries
    I agree with @Jim Becker -- a great time to upgrade to a combo. I've used the full 16" of my jointer fairly frequently!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    That 8" jointer seems like it's in a better league than the planer. I would go for the planer. I got rid of a lunchbox for a 15" Powermatic with helical head. Big improvement. Someday I may upgrade from my 6" Delta jointer but I'm not in a hurry.
    This absolutely.

Planer for sure, or J/P if you’ve got the cash!

Another planer vote.
    if your jointer is working right now. Yeah,planer.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

What's this Jointer/Planer combo you speak of Guys? - Just kidding - which brand would give 16" of jointing width?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Harman View Post
    What's this Jointer/Planer combo you speak of Guys? - Just kidding - which brand would give 16" of jointing width?
    Felder AD741.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Harman View Post

Felder/Hammer and SCM/Minimax are the brands most discussed. Both companies produce great gear. I'm all SCM/Minimax because that was what appealed to me when I was buying, but would happily get the same utility from Felder/Hammer for similarly equipped machines. None of these tools are "inexpensive" for the initial buy, but the capacities and quality are really great to have over time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I retract part of my last post. I really prefer separates so I’d recommend getting a planer. If you’ve got the room, which likely isn’t much more, separates are more convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I retract part of my last post. I really prefer separates so I’d recommend getting a planer. If you’ve got the room, which likely isn’t much more, separates are more convenient.
    As do I. My friends have Euro style combo machines which are nice, but I prefer my Powermatic Jointer and Planer.