Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another example of Big Brother

Blog Entries
    Yikes. Imagine what existing and potential advertisers would think of SMC if they caught wind of a campaign to artificially inflate click counts.
    This has been a bane of advertisers already. There are "click mines" that have banks of devices to direct "trends" in internet activity.

Need 10,000 likes real fast? It is available for a fee.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The only thing in my house that's voice activated is me.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    The only thing in my house that's voice activated is me.
    In my household too. When I hear my wife's voice, I get busy!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    I get plenty of ads. My point was my brain is apparently not wired to read or respond.

The ads that frequently pop up on apps and web pages are simply a mild annoyance - I've never clicked on one on purpose and I rarely even notice them anymore.
    One well known news site has one ad that flashes at a very high rate. It is most distracting which is one reason my reading seldom involves that particular site. If there is a story they are running that isn't on other sites, the window size is readjusted to block out all but the text.

Thanks be to all the web designers who long ago realized people do not like the distraction of ads flashing like so many neon signs on the Las Vegas strip.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

As per the OP's post, here's one I made in Oct 2016, see if it sounds familiar-?
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ight=deburring

--and note, the ad didn't come up within SMC, it was EMAILED to me--

And smart phones are starting it *iss me off- twice that I've witnessed myself; once while we're standing in the kitchen conversing, I said something to the effect of "I need to get an 'off-the-wall-item' for the boat". Not 5 seconds later, the wife's Iphone, which was on but 'dormant', received a text message: SALE ON ALL 'OFF-THE-WALL-ITEMS' FOR YOUR BOAT! -- Now, that her OFF phone was listening and found an ad within 5 seconds is spooky as hell. Even worse, is that it was listening, period!! Same thing happened about a week later while we were in the living room, just different subject matter. My BIL says his Iphone does that all the time. The wife has since disabled the 'always listening' function.

It's ridiculous that 'we're going to listen' is the default and the user has to disable it. Should be the other way 'round. I'm sure it's in the TOS somewhere, but that section should be in
    BIG HUGE LETTERS
    since 'default' listening is an affront to our privacy rights

--in my opinion, of course
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Go to your favorite search engine and enter > bluetooth customer tracking <. Drop the word customer and you will get ads for the device that tracks and suggests.

It is getting rather difficult to "get off the grid" these days.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    I keep hearing about facial recognition software and cameras being installed in airports and other places. Have they really started to do this yet? To me that is extreme big brother at work as now one can be easily tracked.
    What I've read about facial recognition is that it's pretty unreliable, hit rates in the single digits or something. Give it time though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    What I've read about facial recognition is that it's pretty unreliable, hit rates in the single digits or something. Give it time though.
    There are problems with facial recognition as it is currently configured. There are a large numbers of businesses big and small working on improving its reliability. It will be a big payday for anyone who develops the break throughs in this field.

From the NY Times:

Facial recognition technology is improving by leaps and bounds. Some commercial software can now tell the gender of a person in a photograph.

When the person in the photo is a white man, the software is right 99 percent of the time.
    The bugs are being worked on as this is being typed.

BTW, the NY Times article is over a year old. That is a long time in the world of advancing technology.

jtk