Thread: Thomas Johnson antique furniture repair videos

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thomas Johnson antique furniture repair videos

When you are sick for an extended period of time, you watch a lot of youtube videos. I got hooked on the Thomas Johnson Antique Furniture Restoration videos. I find it fascinating for a couple reasons. First, you get to see the insides of furniture and how it’s all put together along with the variations and unorthodox approaches. The other thing is you get to see how things failed and why. Spoiler alert: unless something was actually broken by a human, it’s almost always wood movement. I can already see how it’s helping me think through future woodworking projects.

https://www.youtube.com/user/johnsonrestoration/videos

I was going to post the same thing this morning. I've been watching these for the last couple of weeks. I enjoy not only the sharing of restoration techniques, but the study of how these vintage pieces are put together.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Thanks Chris. I'll go watch some.
    I hope you get to feeling better soon.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I watched one and there's no doubt it'll help me with a couple of projects. Thanks for posting.

Hope you're feeling better.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I've watched Tom Johnson for about 2 years. In fact, I inherited a drop leaf table from a great aunt that had a warped center section. I couldn't work out how to get it back flat since it was veneered. It was a very expensive table "back in the day" (about 1945). I emailed a couple of times with Tom and sent pictures. He suggested a repair strategy and it was 100% spot on. In fact, my parents previously had the table worked on by a local guy who managed to screw it up. I was able to reverse his botched job and restore the table, thanks to Tom. He is a master craftsman artist and great human.
    Regards,
    Tom