Friend of mine, Mr. Bishop, is in to Black Powder firearms.....think Josey Wales handguns...and he had a jig made to help reload the old cap & ball pistols while on a range...just a "stand" to hold the revolver with the barrel pointing up....
Bishop's Jig, Old jig.JPG
But, it wasn't working quite right...no place for the hammer to sit, at half cock...to allow the cylinder to rotate. My task was to re-do this jig for that problem..
Decided to buy a bit of White oak, and a few hinges, and build a second jig...that when He returned with a revolver or two, I could cutom fit the new jig for fit..
Bishop's Jig, parts.JPG
Cut a bit off the 24" long plank, to make the two parts...had to use the bandsaw, only room I had,,,
Bishop's Jig, rough cuts.JPG
Blade had too much set (have since stoned it back..) looks like i need to shoot the edges..
Bishop's Jig, shot the edge.JPG
Shooting board.. laid out a larger groove for the revolver's grip to settle into..Dremel with a cutting wheel to make a wall, of sorts..
Bishop's Jig, cutting a line.JPG
As the OEM one was at the wrong angle to hold the grips...Then dig out a gouge, and do a little chopping...
Bishop's Jig, chopping out.JPG
A little wider, and a tad deeper, into a flat, vertical wall.. laid out for a hinge..
Bishop's Jig, hinge recess.JPG
And chopped a shallow recess for it...
Stay tuned, part 2 coming up...