Thread: Sliding deadman pics?

Sliding deadman pics?

I just can't see the point of drilling all those holes in one. This is most likely because I am a moron who lacks insight.

20190610_182215.jpg

Above is a picture of a 60 inch exterior window frame I am building on my 48" bench. I did drill a holdfast hole in the right leg about the same height as the guidebars on my vise so long stock like this would have a place to rest.

My next bench is going to be a nine footer. I like this little guy just fine for what it is, but it is kinda short.

Why do I want a sliding deadman with 47 holes in it on my nine foot bench? A picture is worth a thousand words.

Blog Entries
    Why do I want a sliding deadman with 47 holes in it on my nine foot bench? A picture is worth a thousand words.
    Maybe some folks have a very small work comfort zone. The extra holes make is so they can get it just right.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Have yet to build mine for my new bench, the 2” clamping ledge under the front edge fills most needs. I have seen one with a nice large sliding support that clamps. It provides better support with infinite positions, hope someone posts it’s picture! The holes are quick and easy but not pretty, the pegs in the holes less than ideal support.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Have yet to build mine for my new bench, the 2” clamping ledge under the front edge fills most needs. I have seen one with a nice large sliding support that clamps. It provides better support with infinite positions, hope someone posts it’s picture! The holes are quick and easy but not pretty, the pegs in the holes less than ideal support.
    If the deadman is made of sufficiently stout wood a holdfast can be used to provide lateral stability.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have a 'standard' deadman on my BC Roubo. Doesn't get used often, but very handy for large panels. I usually use a holdfast in mine as well. Not needed for smaller stuff and certainly not a necessity.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

I have a deadman I have used for 40 years. There are 23 holes and all are used. I would not trade it for a tail vise.
    Last edited by Warren Mickley; 06-11-2019 at 9:49 PM.

I worked for years on a bench without one but as Warren said now that I have one I wonder why it took me so long. Perhaps it depends on the work you do. When not in use you don’t notice it. When used for making doors, windows,etc it is very useful.

Sliding deadman

Attachment 411247
    Last edited by Warren Mickley; 06-11-2019 at 9:48 PM.

The sliding deadman runs on a triangular strip that I screwed to the top of the stretcher (rather than sawing the stretcher to a triangle) ..

This allowed for the removal of the strip when installing the sliding deadman, and in turn this meant that I could create a tighter fit with less play. In practice this worked extremely well. The sliding deadman moves very freely and still remains flush with the stretcher and legs. Tip: round the ends of the tenon for less resistance.

The deadman and the leg vise were built from the same board. They are 1 3/4" thick.

Link to above: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...OhSoclose.html

Current build ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 06-12-2019 at 9:04 AM.

Link not working!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Sweet bench.

A LOT of pictures aren't showing up, either.......

sliding deadman
    deadman.jpg

Why not have a tail vise and a couple of dead men with a lot of holes in it?

DSC03414.JPGDSC03415.JPGDSC03423.JPGDSC03274.JPGDSC03258.JPGDSC03273.JPG

And a reason for a split top. DSC03259.JPG
    Tom