Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27

Thread: Table saw motor upgrade

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central WI
    Posts
    5,235
    I have a little Bosch saw but wouldn't want to rip much oak on it. Small table and light trunion. Do your dad a favor and find a decent used saw with a large table, good fence, and decent motor. You can always sell it after. Better than trying to hurt yourself with a machine that is small for the task. Dave

  2. #17
    Hello again, Thank you for the replies. I thought I would finally post a photo of my father in law's saw. I am not sure of the HP but it has a 13 amp motor and as you can see it is a pretty good size saw however it has difficulty ripping a pine 2x4 even with a fresh blade without bogging down. He is considering buying a Dewalt 15 amp table top model like his friend has that he has used before. I was hoping that I could possibly help him without spending $600 on a new saw but, you only live once. Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    478
    That looks to be a Ridgid R4512, if so i have its cousin (Craftsman 21833). I have very good success ripping hardwoods up to full 2"--with dedicated ripping blades. But most pine, especially construction and/or treated i'd rather burn than rip. A few years ago i did a table of fir where i used 10' long 2 x 12 stock, 4 rips in each board to get rid of the rounded edges and the hearts. Took the blade off after each rip to clean the sap. If he trades up to a 3HP cabinet saw--it might improve the ripping for a while, but sappy wood will drag at some point.

    Take that blade off, clean it with Trend Bit & Blade cleaner, then rip a 1 1/2" thick piece of white oak--he'll think he replaced the motor.
    earl

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Okotoks AB
    Posts
    1,166
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sills View Post
    Hello again, Thank you for the replies. I thought I would finally post a photo of my father in law's saw. I am not sure of the HP but it has a 13 amp motor and as you can see it is a pretty good size saw however it has difficulty ripping a pine 2x4 even with a fresh blade without bogging down. He is considering buying a Dewalt 15 amp table top model like his friend has that he has used before. I was hoping that I could possibly help him without spending $600 on a new saw but, you only live once. Thanks again.
    That would be $600 down the drain. Why does he want a jobsite saw? They are inferior in almost every way to a contractor saw (which the Ridgid is), except for the portability. The extra 2A that the motor draws may or may not be noticeable and if so would have barely more power.

    Another thing to keep in mind is that between a 13A induction motor & a 13A universal motor, the induction motor will be more powerful because universal motors are much less efficient.

  5. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    That would be $600 down the drain. Why does he want a jobsite saw? They are inferior in almost every way to a contractor saw (which the Ridgid is), except for the portability. The extra 2A that the motor draws may or may not be noticeable and if so would have barely more power.

    Another thing to keep in mind is that between a 13A induction motor & a 13A universal motor, the induction motor will be more powerful because universal motors are much less efficient.
    Now you understand my confusion. His friend who owns the Dewalt "says" that he can rip pine all day without it bogging down. My FIL believes this will prove to be a much better saw for his woodworking which is mostly hardwood. I myself can't understand how a tabletop model could outperform such a huge saw but I don't pretend to understand all the differences. I hope he doesn't make a regretful purchase.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,874
    Also, check the fence to blade alignment...

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    East Virginia
    Posts
    710
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sills View Post
    I am not sure of the HP but it has a 13 amp motor and as you can see it is a pretty good size saw however it has difficulty ripping a pine 2x4 even with a fresh blade without bogging down.
    Blade on backwards?

    Just a guess

    (My hunch is that he just wants the benchtop saw and is trying to find a way to justify it to the CFO...)

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Okotoks AB
    Posts
    1,166
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sills View Post
    Now you understand my confusion. His friend who owns the Dewalt "says" that he can rip pine all day without it bogging down. My FIL believes this will prove to be a much better saw for his woodworking which is mostly hardwood. I myself can't understand how a tabletop model could outperform such a huge saw but I don't pretend to understand all the differences. I hope he doesn't make a regretful purchase.
    I guess it's a matter of perspective & expectations. His friend with the Dewalt is cutting much softer wood & probably has much lower performance expectations. I'm not slamming the Dewalt saw; by most reports it's a good saw. But it is what it is, a job site saw. Maybe your FIL could go to his friend's place with an arm load of hardwood & see how it does.

  9. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sills View Post
    Hello again, Thank you for the replies. I thought I would finally post a photo of my father in law's saw. I am not sure of the HP but it has a 13 amp motor and as you can see it is a pretty good size saw however it has difficulty ripping a pine 2x4 even with a fresh blade without bogging down. He is considering buying a Dewalt 15 amp table top model like his friend has that he has used before. I was hoping that I could possibly help him without spending $600 on a new saw but, you only live once. Thanks again.
    A saw drawing 13 amps is only developing 3/4 Hp. Check your local craigs list for a 113 model craftsman saw. They have a 1 Hp motor which will draw about 14 amps. I have one and routinely rip and crosscut 3/4" hickory, maple cherry and oak with a full kerf, 24 tooth Freud glue line rip blade. I can also rip 2x? construction lumber with no issues other than the wood tends to pinch the blade at times. You can probably pick one up for less than $500.
    Capture.JPG
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 06-13-2019 at 2:05 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA- '71
    Captain USN(Ret)

    My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Griswold Connecticut
    Posts
    6,349
    Something is wrong.
    Both of my table saws are powered by 120vac motors. Both have no rouble ripping lumber much harder than pine. I've put 2" thick tropical hardwoods through both of them with little issue.
    Ripping "green" pine is another story though. Ripping 2x lumber is also problematic, but I've done hundreds and hundreds of bd/ft.
    I suspect right now that the blade is binding due to any number of factors. Most likely poor setup, and the wood is releasing stress and pinching the blade.
    I don't use any exotic blades either. I have a 20+year old CMT thin kerf rip blade, and a Home Depot bought Freud Thin kerf rip blade.
    If your FIL is just looking to get a new saw, I'm all for it. The Jobsite Dewalt is not his answer though. His current saw is not the problem either, but if he's going to upgrade, go for a 3hp cabinet as a minimum, and be done with it.
    Changing from 120 to 240 on his current saw will have no effect. It's a waste of time and money to do it.

  11. #26
    If you can't afford a new table saw, look around Craigslist and Offerup and find a used table saw with a belt driven motor. I just moved up from a job site to a Craftsman 22114. I know it's not the greatest saw in the world, but the price was good. I have it set up for 220v and all I can say is wow. The difference is like night and day. You will not regret it. I've only done smaller projects but I'm as giddy as a school girl at how well it cuts. I can only imagine the day I step up to a full sized cabinet saw.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Doylestown, PA
    Posts
    5,843
    The so-called "zipcode" saws that Sears sold got excellent reviews so of course Sears quit selling them. They were made by Orion I think. I think the primary difference between the 22104/22114/22124 is the fence. The 22124 came with a Biesmeyer fence. I have a Griz 1023 and it's not going anywhere anytime soon but if I couldn't get 240 volts easily I'd be on the lookout for a good used zipcode saw.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 06-15-2019 at 8:50 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •