Thread: another wood identification request please

Wink another wood identification request please

I've had a few pieces of this wood for some time and want to make some small projects as gifts but I know I'll get asked what kind of wood it is and I don't have that answer.

I'm sure it's not an expensive wood because it was the thin (about 1/2") slats of a small pallet. The pallet was delivered with goods to a Joanne Fabrics store that my wife worked at 40 years ago. I don't know the origin of the pallet but I'm reasonably certain that it came from another country like China or India.

The basic color is brownish-red and even though the pic looks like it has a rough surface it has been planed and sanded. As you can see, it has a very odd grain pattern. The piece in the picture is about 2" x 6". It is not hard like oak or maple but is harder than pine and I'd say about the same weight as walnut.

The second pic is the front view edge where it was split. It looks to be tight grained with a little wavyness to it. The end grain which I didn't take a picture of looks very similar to this side grain view. This piece is 3/8" thick for perspective.

I know from other posts like this I could send a sample to the Forest Products Lab but don't really want to go through all that trouble for me and them. But if anyone has a reasonable guess I could at least use that as my answer to the question.
    Attached Images Attached Images

There are over 60,000 species of wood in the world, most of them we never see. Most are not even photographed and documented like the "common" foreign and domestic species. If you want to browse some photos, try this: http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

Nice figure, looks like ray fleck. I've salvaged some excellent unknown wood from pallets. If someone asks what kind of wood I say "tree wood".

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post
    I've had a few pieces of this wood for some time and want to make some small projects as gifts but I know I'll get asked what kind of wood it is and I don't have that answer.

I'm sure it's not an expensive wood because it was the thin (about 1/2") slats of a small pallet. The pallet was delivered with goods to a Joanne Fabrics store that my wife worked at 40 years ago. I don't know the origin of the pallet but I'm reasonably certain that it came from another country like China or India.

The basic color is brownish-red and even though the pic looks like it has a rough surface it has been planed and sanded. As you can see, it has a very odd grain pattern. The piece in the picture is about 2" x 6". It is not hard like oak or maple but is harder than pine and I'd say about the same weight as walnut.

The second pic is the front view edge where it was split. It looks to be tight grained with a little wavyness to it. The end grain which I didn't take a picture of looks very similar to this side grain view. This piece is 3/8" thick for perspective.

I know from other posts like this I could send a sample to the Forest Products Lab but don't really want to go through all that trouble for me and them. But if anyone has a reasonable guess I could at least use that as my answer to the question.

I would guess mahogony
    Bill D

John, thanks for the link. I would have never guessed over 60,000 but that shouldn't be a surprise these days. I've only went part way down the list so far, because I'm slowed down by looking at some species that I'd love to get. And in that small sampling so far I've seen several species that could be my mystery wood. I like "tree wood" though.

Bill, I've worked with different mahoganies and this is definitely not one of them. But that was a good guess.

"Free range wood" and charge extra for the feature. I think tree farms now have to let the trees go outside and move around. There is a place near me that sells big rocks for garden features. I am not sure why the yard is fenced. Maybe they are worried about the rocks running off in the night. The rocks are to big to pick up by hand they are at least 3' in the smallest dimension.
    Bil lD

I think it is Lacewood. I recently bought some Lacewood from Wall Lumber and it had this very same distinct coloring and look to it. Slightly different than regular Lacewood and much darker. I'll try and post a picture of some of the one I have later today when I get in the shop.

Jim

Here is a picture of the Lacewood I was talking about yesterday. Seems to be very similar.

20190611_125434.jpg

Jim

The OP pic looks like silky oak. Sometimes I do think its called lacewood.

Thanks for posting the picture Jim. Yes, it does look very much like your sample which even has some dark areas like mine.