Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm in the game

Mr. Jordan, I use that little hickey to the left of the thread listing to hop right to the recent posts. And I’m hoping for a bunch of pictures, too.

Mr. TenEyck, too bad you can’t drag that thing here to northwestern PA. I’m betting I could scare up an audience.

Have fun with it.

I hired a portable band sawyer to come in a few years back when I had my woods logged. I helped him and his wife, and it was a lot of fun. At the end of the day I was tired, but it was a rewarding way of getting tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zona View Post
    Mr. Jordan, I use that little hickey to the left of the thread listing to hop right to the recent posts. And I’m hoping for a bunch of pictures, too.
    Thanks. I have no problem finding and following the messages. I was thinking about others who might not now be following this "I'm in the game" thread about deciding and buying but would be interested in reading about the sawmill itself. A separate thread with a more descriptive title on initially firing up and operating the mill might catch their eye while the same messages deep in this thread might be missed.

Operating a small mill is far more work than some realize. I've had friends offer to come help just for fun and after a mere 4-5 hours of handling the logs, mill, and boards they sometimes look like they've been beaten with a stick! I agree that it is rewarding - I love to see what's inside the log and love the magic of creating lumber. I also enjoy analyzing the log and deciding how to saw it. BTW, I grew up south of Pittsburgh and we passed through your area to visit relatives in Erie. This was in the 1950s and '60s.

JKJ

Congratulations John!!!! I switched from CSM to bandmill (lt15) about 7 years ago. You are going to be amazed at how much faster cutting goes.

I'm not too far from you and have also been to that warehouse to buy a stump grinder. I'd suggest you get a logrite cant hook or 2.... They are great for parbuckling and to have at the mill. Logrite really makes a nice hook. Pm me if you're looking for logs/wood.

I've been on the fence about getting a Woodmizer CBN sharpener. Financially it doesn't make sense, but for convenience it may be worth it to me.

Good idea, John. I'll start a new thread with the rest of the build and initial start up. At this point the sawhead and carriage are as I last left off since it was raining yesterday. I spent the afternoon starting on putting the trailer together. There must be 500 bolts! Talk about an erector set for adults.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    There must be 500 bolts! Talk about an erector set for adults.
    Yikes. Let's see, what to use: impact driver or hand wrench, impact driver or ....

The Woodmizer came on a single pallet with the head assembled, requiring only to bolt together the bed sections and set and latch the head in place. But I didn't get the trailer.

Remember to recheck the tightness occasionally! (or maybe use locktite) I've had big bolts loosen on the backhoe frame.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Yikes. Let's see, what to use: impact driver or hand wrench, impact driver or ....

The Woodmizer came on a single pallet with the head assembled, requiring only to bolt together the bed sections and set and latch the head in place. But I didn't get the trailer.

Remember to recheck the tightness occasionally! (or maybe use locktite) I've had big bolts loosen on the backhoe frame.

JKJ
    Woodland lists the required torque for every both type used. The only way I have to do that is manually with a torque wrench. Must have torqued well over 200 bolts/nuts today on the trailer. The weather was nice this afternoon so I finished putting the rest of the parts on the sawhead/carriage, then went back to the trailer. The bulk of it's done now; just have to put the tongue and hitch, wiring and lights, and a few minor things on it still. Then I'll need to make a gantry crane to hoist the sawhead up off the ground so I can roll the trailer under it.

Selling a "some assembly required" kit limits how long any of the components can be in order to keep shipping costs reasonable. The upside is a very attractive price. The downside is having to use a lot of nuts and bolts to end up with a straight and rigid finished product. The Woodlander trailer is well designed, the factory welded subassemblies are perfect, everything is very robust, and all the parts fit together without having to horse or pry on them. Just a lot of nuts/bolts to tighten.

John

Wow, quite an undertaking!!! The first cuts look v good....Keep us informed...
    Jerry