Thread: Waterproofing the basin of a fountain

Waterproofing the basin of a fountain

Hi, The fountain in question is one of those pre-cast concrete three tier jobs with a bottom basin. The basin seems to have developed some hairline cracks and it is not holding water so i need to seal it in some way to make it water tight again.

There are some rubberized and epoxy products available that can be ordered. There is also Drylok which is easily available at any Home Depot. Their website literature says it stands up to 10 pounds of hydrostatic pressure, equivalent to a wall of water 22ft high. The water level in my fountain is maybe 8 or 10 inches high, so the hydrostatic pressure should be well under what they claim to withstand.

Question 1 - Is Drylok a good product for the problem I want to solve?
    Question 2 - If not, does anyone have another product to recommend?

Thanks in advance,
    Edwin

Drylok is not worth the trouble. It might last a while, but if there are already cracks, they'll telegraph through at some point. Do a google search for pond, and pool lining material.

Flex Seal ???

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Flex Seal ???
    I'm personally 0 for 2 with the spray version. (One of those was a leaky wall-mount fountain, which subsequently got repurposed as a planter.)

Although the brush-on stuff worked to cure a water-entry issue in the trunk of GF's Buick, it is truly nasty stuff to work with, sort of like runny silicone caulk mixed with mastic adhesive.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

The stuff reeks to the heavens, but Geocel 2310 Brushable will do it. It is a commercial roofing product that will seal concrete, wood and many other substrates. It comes in a 1 gallon can. I sealed some antique concrete planters with it prior to painting them and it completely stopped their deterioration.