Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Logging In Tokyo.....

1. Great story John, thanks as always for sharing!

Cheers!

Stu, you have more wood stocked than most woodworking stores do!! Cam't wait til it's all ready to work to see what you do with it!

Good story John...I have never been asked NOT to pay in a bar!

3. I really like what you are doing?

Dear Stu, I live in Labrador, Canada and work as a forest technician for a native group here. I have really enjoyed looking at your photos and what you have done in the space you have. I like too your pictures of japanese trees, they must be very beautiful there.
    I use a logosol M7 chainsaw mill with stihl 088 (3/8 kerf) with the black spruce , white spruce, balsam fir and tamarack of this area. I cut 4x4,3x3 and board for small projects and for my friends.
    Good luck with your work and thanks for the great pictures and story.
    Guy Playfair

Quote Originally Posted by guy playfair
    I use a logosol M7 chainsaw mill with stihl 088 (3/8 kerf)Guy Playfair
    I also do chain saw milling with a 084 which of course is very similar to the 088 but older. I haven't been able to find a long 084 bar for 3/8 chains so I am using 0.404. I would rather use the 3/8 because the cut is more narrow and the chain compatible with my 064. Where did you buy your 3/8 bar? Does it have a nose sprocket wheel?

And btw, wellcome here

5. Greetings Guy!

First off, welcome to the Creek, this is one of the best communities online I've yet to find. I know that I'd love to see some pics of the work you do, I can imagine some of it is VERY interesting.

Thanks for the kind words, I had a lot of fun doing all of that, and I sure hope I get another chance to do some more.

The wood is drying well on my rooftop, down to 22% now.

I'm originally from Kelowna BC, so I can say, thanks eh.....

Cheers!

Guy,

Nice to see another Logosol user here. I have the Woodworkers Mill with a Husqvarna 385XP chainsaw. I use the pico (narrow 1/4" kerf) 63PMX ripping chain on the 16" and 24" bars. On the 36" bar I use 3/8" ripping chain.

Tom,

If you are interested in smaller kerf and better cutting speed, I would try the Stihl 63PMX chain. The difference in speed is quite noticeable. The longest bar with it is 24" however.

Regards,

Ted

As I was looking at the photos of the lumber stacked on the roof, it brought back memories of the damage caused by a typhoon to Yokota Air Base when I was stationed there nearly 50 years ago. Trees down everywhere, roofs blown off, etc. I sure hope you have some way to get a cable over those stacks to keep them in place. Maybe a cable or strong strap around the whole stack in a couple of places would work. Good luck, I sure enjoy your escapades, it brings back a lot of fond memories of my stay in Japan.

8. Thanks Dell!

Each stack is held together, as a stack by two high quality cargo straps, the kind that have a ratchet to tighten them.

Like that.

Each pile weighs an lot, but in the event of a major typhoon coming directly to Tokyo, I'd reposition the stacks closer to each other and then use the big hooks on the building to strap the stacks down as well.

Cheers!