Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

10 Jun 2019

Greetings,
    It's been a busy week work the day job AND woodworking in the shop. Finished and installed the kitchen island top for my daughter and son-in-law, made a few cutting boards, and worked on listing the items I need to add or put back in my shop. You know, sandpaper, sawblades, and etc. I start oncall duty this morning but I will have more woodworking to get done this week.
    Here's a pic for proof of what I got done.

daughter_island_top.jpg

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis, I like the countertop. May I ask what type of finished you used on it? I'm supposed to be making something similar for my kitchen peninsula, but have be unable to decide on the finish system.

As for the weekend, there will be no actual woodworking for me in the foreseeable future. We've begun the tiny enclosed porch addition on our home, so I'm spending my precious energy on that. We got the walls standing this weekend and the ridge beam is in place. When energy permits this week, I'll get the roof joists cut so they are ready to go up.

Turned a really nice bowl, 3 mallets, and 7 pens. Made progress on a guitar neck for a guitar we are building. Some basic shop cleanup and organization. Some good reading on Wood turning chucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    Dennis, I like the countertop. May I ask what type of finished you used on it? I'm supposed to be making something similar for my kitchen peninsula, but have be unable to decide on the finish system.

As for the weekend, there will be no actual woodworking for me in the foreseeable future. We've begun the tiny enclosed porch addition on our home, so I'm spending my precious energy on that. We got the walls standing this weekend and the ridge beam is in place. When energy permits this week, I'll get the roof joists cut so they are ready to go up.
    Lisa, I recently made a large cutting board and used “Tried & True” danish oil. It is a polymerized linseed oil which dries in about 8 hours and is food safe.

I found it on Amazon for about $24/pint but a pint is suppose to cover about 125 sq/ft.

(It’s on top of the rolling cart in my photo album)
    Last edited by Mark Daily; 06-10-2019 at 3:06 PM.

I painted my garage doors. Oh wait, that’s not woodworking... Never mind..

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post

Lisa,
    I treat all my kitchen island tops with nothing more than Mineral Oil. Works well, easy for the home owner to maintain.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis, nice job on yet another island top...and I agree with using just the mineral oil.

This past week was a "this and that" week, but from a woodworking perspective, I spent most of the available time for that working on my first guitar project after having cut a few samples of necks and fingerboards. The first one will be a relatively vanilla "telecaster" type but I have some ideas for follow-on instruments that should be fun and rewarding. Of course, this activity "required" that I buy a few specialized tools. LOL What's not to like a about a project that needs more tools?

This week, more of the same plus potentially starting on another commission project which hopefully will be more of a "repeating subcontract". I'll know more mid-week.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My Harlequin Side Table is moving along. Finally at the stage where the carcase has been glued up. The current episode is on morticing and fitting the drawer dividers .. hand tools only. Positioning needed to be ultra precise.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....16#post2932816

or, from my website: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...e%20dados.html

Regards from Perth

Derek