Thread: Looking for Real World 5hp Cyclone Comparisons

Looking for Real World 5hp Cyclone Comparisons

Greetings, all.

I'm doing the research for a wall mounted cyclone for installation in my shop that is in progress.

Particularly, I'm looking for an actual real world comparison between the newest 5hp cyclone models. This would include the 2019 version of the Oneida dust gorilla pro, the Clearvue EF5, the Grizzly G0442, etc.

Does anyone have the pulse on a comparison rumor or possible plans for comparison?

Thanks!

Jeremy

Doubtful there are any formal published comparisons, so get the fan curves for each of the models you are interested in and compare them side-by-side. Those will tell you what you need to know about system performance.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would think that the Clearvue EF5 with 8" intake would have the same specs as the Clearvue max. Only difference in the material of cyclone.

Blog Entries
    Good luck, Jeremy.
    I'm afraid Jim is right. There seems (to me) to be no way of comparing one model from the next. His suggestion, sadly, is about all there is to go on.
    The only way to know how effective one would be over the others is to buy one of each and use it in the exact same setup in your shop.
    Everything else seems to be (again, to me) nothing but "used car salesman" jargon. JMHO.

Blog Entries
    Uh...I'm sorry if you read my last post and are an actual used car salesman. Just an often used metaphor.

A couple of the mfg post reasonable fan curves. I wish that Wood Magazine would do some tests again. In the past they did some good work.

I bought a Grizzly GO442 about 4 years ago and when I was shopping I compared the Fan curves. Also there was a revue in FWW or some mag that showed the design differences . After that it was" All in price" that included shipping to Sweetgrass Montana where I picked it up. It has worked well,except for a minor hiccup with the seal on the garbage bin. I ripped it off and put weatherstrip closed cell foam on the lid,woks great now.

Probably the easiest way to compare the performance of these cyclones is to see which has the largest diameter impeller. Biggest impeller, most suction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Probably the easiest way to compare the performance of these cyclones is to see which has the largest diameter impeller. Biggest impeller, most suction.
    As with everything, "your milage may vary". A larger impeller is certainly a key factor in higher performance, but the actual design of a cyclone system will directly effect whether or not that bigger spinning fan can work to optimal levels or be held back for "laws of physics" reasons. And that's even before the biggest variable of all is added...ductwork and machine ports. So agin, fan curves are critical because they reflect the whole system, not just the blower. With dust collection, higher air flow at the comparable static pressure is what you are looking for.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    A couple of the mfg post reasonable fan curves. I wish that Wood Magazine would do some tests again. In the past they did some good work.
    This is what I was remembering. I believe Wood magazine did some comparisons of some of the 3hp models a while back. I would like to see them do a 5hp shootout.

It could be a "start" as Jim Becker says, even those tests are just a start as you have to take in the facts of pipe runs,etc. I think I remember them only testing a few feet from the collector suction.
    Last edited by Jeremy Treibs; 06-11-2019 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Actually that's not really correct.

Impeller design, housing design, cyclone and filter losses will all contribute to airflow.

The only way to know is to use a standard test method on all the machines...........Regards, Rod