Thread: Fooled by Persimmon Boards

Fooled by Persimmon Boards

I've been engaged in a long project involving re-organizing my shop and wood barn. I ran across some persimmon boards that came to me mixed in a bundle of maple some while back. Both the dealer and I were fooled by the boards as they appeared yellowish and much like the color of the rough sawn maple.

IMG_1797.jpg IMG_1793.jpg persimmon ends 004.jpg persimmon samples 001.jpg

I have no idea what caused the outside of the boards to turn that light color, with a thin dark gray layer under that in some boards, after the boards were sawn. This still remains a mystery to me.

Persimmon is the northern most variety of Ebony and often has streaks of black or grey.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    Persimmon is the northern most variety of Ebony and often has streaks of black or grey.
    Yes, there were some nice black splotches in some places .. mostly at defects.

persimmon samples 010.jpg

I tried to air dry some persimmon once. Apparently I was unlucky and the trees were full of their sugar sap. It all turned a horrible grayish black color.
    This is what I remember after consulting advise from a guy that dries lots of maple.
    Anyways I was able to get a very small bowl out of many days work.
    Your wood looks very decent.

I remember it was very dense and brittle wood.
    Good Luck always.
    Aj