Thread: Automotive Water Bourne...have you used?

Automotive Water Bourne...have you used?

I'm curious if anyone here has used automotive water borne finishes and can provide commentary on their experience. There have been a number of folks in the guitar building world that have suggested this approach. The stuff is uber-expensive so I don't want to jump in on a whim. Do you have experience with this stuff?
    (Note...I'm not interested in the solvent-based varieties. I do not have the environment to use and spray them safely)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

No, I haven't used any, but I did a lot of investigation as to what products I needed when I wanted to paint my kitchen vent hood. You are right about them being uber expensive. After you add up the cost of the primer, color, and potentially a clear coat over that, I was looking at $150 or more for pints or quarts. I ended up chucking that approach and used Rustoleum metallic rattle can paint. I figured I had nothing to loose. I could always strip it off. $14 later it looks like a new hood.

John

Jim-

what about EM2000HBL?

John, thanks. Yes, a small quantity of the color is about $150 for the PPG Envirobase which is an excellent finish. The clear coat, however, is only available in gallons for over $350. Shelf life of the color is only 90 days, but since one can buy it in pints and quarts, that's not such a problem. The clear coat has a shelf life measured in years as long as the catalyst hasn't been added to it. (which changes it to about two hours LOL)

Robert, I likely will stay with Target's products anyway, although not the the EM2000. I'm just considering my options. I was just asking because it seems there are many folks in the guitar building community who just love using automotive finishes including the water borne products. The fellow helping me at the local distributor today said that the shops are really liking the water borne product and many have switched over 100% in recent years. They are getting excellent color matches and awesome durability while also easing their compliance challenges. It's worth checking out for my specific interest, but the cost is likely going to kill it since I'm doing this for fun.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I asked some guys I know who paint cars all the time. They say they don't, and don't know anyone else who uses it around here.