Thread: Safe to engrave TPE yoga mats?

Safe to engrave TPE yoga mats?

Hey Guys!

I couldn't find anything saying a definitive YES so asking the experts

I know many yoga mats are made of PVC and that's a definite no-go for my CO2 Epilgo laser. However, I noticed these TPE yoga mats. They are advertised as eco friendly with no PVC, latex or other "toxic chemicals". I'm just wondering if it would be safe for me to engrave one of these TPE mats with my CO2 laser? Have any of you tried yourselves and how did they come out? Thanks!
    Epilog Legend 36EXT 75 watt
    Inexperienced rookie user

I'm not sure what TPE is aside from 'thermoplastic elastomer' aka thermoplastic rubber, and according to wiki it's injection moldable yet pliable like rubber- So- ever grab onto a rubbery-covered SS cup? I engraved such cups about 2 weeks ago. I'm going to assume they were TPE since they fit the description...

--they didn't 'engrave', as in like engraving away powdercoating from a Hydroflask, or like any other engraving for that matter! But the laser did leave a consistent looking impression, as if the beam shrunk the the stuff away. Was a bit subtle, and anything less than 2 or 3mm tall won't be much good in the detail department. I did some 3/8" tall, rather narrow lettering and it looked okay, my customer liked it. Not sure how something like 1/2" tall arial black or other large areas would look, I've only done the one set of cups.

This is all assuming they WERE TPE - I'd get one and try it. I did also find out the smoke wasn't objectionable...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I'm not sure what TPE is aside from 'thermoplastic elastomer' aka thermoplastic rubber, and according to wiki it's injection moldable yet pliable like rubber- So- ever grab onto a rubbery-covered SS cup? I engraved such cups about 2 weeks ago. I'm going to assume they were TPE since they fit the description...

--they didn't 'engrave', as in like engraving away powdercoating from a Hydroflask, or like any other engraving for that matter! But the laser did leave a consistent looking impression, as if the beam shrunk the the stuff away. Was a bit subtle, and anything less than 2 or 3mm tall won't be much good in the detail department. I did some 3/8" tall, rather narrow lettering and it looked okay, my customer liked it. Not sure how something like 1/2" tall arial black or other large areas would look, I've only done the one set of cups.

This is all assuming they WERE TPE - I'd get one and try it. I did also find out the smoke wasn't objectionable...
    Thanks, Kev! There are a number of YouTube videos of lasering TPE and I didn't see any special ventilation or other equipment and it looked like they just engraved them.

I'm more looking into CUTTING them and making them into something different. If the engraving doesn't work out too well, that won't be too terrible. I just wanted to make sure I didn't try to laser something that might mess up my machine. Thanks!

Just to be 100% sure you may want to do a quick check for chlorine in your particular material.

Do this outside. Get a torch and heat a copper wire to red hot. Melt some of your material to the red hot copper wire and put it back in the flame. If your material has chlorine you will see green in the flame. If there is no green you should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Thomason View Post
    Just to be 100% sure you may want to do a quick check for chlorine in your particular material.

Do this outside. Get a torch and heat a copper wire to red hot. Melt some of your material to the red hot copper wire and put it back in the flame. If your material has chlorine you will see green in the flame. If there is no green you should be good to go.
    Thanks very much for that info and advice! I will definitely do that before I try to laser it! Just a question though... would the laser itself also cause the flame to have some green in it? I would think so but you might know for sure Reason I'm asking is because there are a good number of videos out there of lasers engraving on TPE mats and if no green in those flames coming from the lasering then no chlorine, right? Thanks!

No, the chemical reaction of the chlorine and the copper wire cause the green, nothing you can do in the laser will indicate the presence of chlorine - well that's not exactly true - if you laser enough material with chlorine in it then everything metal in your laser will rust... oh, and your lungs will start bleeding...

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Franker View Post
    Thanks very much for that info and advice! I will definitely do that before I try to laser it! Just a question though... would the laser itself also cause the flame to have some green in it? I would think so but you might know for sure Reason I'm asking is because there are a good number of videos out there of lasers engraving on TPE mats and if no green in those flames coming from the lasering then no chlorine, right? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    No, the chemical reaction of the chlorine and the copper wire cause the green, nothing you can do in the laser will indicate the presence of chlorine - well that's not exactly true - if you laser enough material with chlorine in it then everything metal in your laser will rust... oh, and your lungs will start bleeding...
    That's good info for a beginner... and very convincing! LOL!!! Thank you again

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    and you'll die
    a
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander