Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust Cyclones

Dust Cyclones

Looking for feedback on a cyclone. I currently have the Grizzly G0710 1HP wall mount unit and am looking at adding a cyclone to the mix.

Considering the Grizzly G0863 and the Oneida Super Dust Deputy. Leaning towards the Grizzly.

links to everything below, hope that it’s okay to post links?

Oneida Air Systems 4in Super Dust Deputy Deluxe
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y37FF9D..._vuy.Cb35RET67

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...ollector/G0710

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...eparator/G0863

Not to knock anyone's product, but read the reviews on each product before making your decision. Both products that you mention are in the same price range, but one out shines the other as far as customer satisfaction is concerned. My choice would be the Oneida.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Jack, in all honesty, trying to effectively use a cyclone separator with that small 1hp blower is probably not going to be very satisfying and may not perform as well as current. When you add the separator, you'll be needing more air flow performance because the cyclone does put a load on the system.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Started a separate thread.
    Last edited by Bill Jobe; 06-11-2019 at 3:55 PM.

I used to have a Delta AP400. I did not try a cyclone but I put on better bags and then a Wynn cartridge filter. I was never satisfied it moved enough air. Table saw worked OK. Jointer plugged up with chips. Even when the filter was clean it just didn't move enough air. So I got rid of it. I had it piped into a 4 inch S&D piping setup with blaste gates at each tool. I think the best chance to make a 1hp work is to move it from tool to tool. Reduce the loss of the piping.

But do not use it without a good filter on the exhaust. I did and I never got the shop cleaned up afterwards. 1 micron bags are the worst I would use.

The advantage of the cyclone is to prevent you from having to clean the filter so much. I plan to use one instead of a filter on my next setup (using the HF "2hp"). If I put heat and AC in the shop, I will switch to a cartridge air filter. A cyclone adds resistance but not as much as a dirty filter.

Good info from all. Thanks

@Jim D - I have the 30 micron bag on it, sounds like I should upgrade. I also have no dedicated plumbing. I have a small shop area 10x21. I have my dust creating equipment and work space setup so I can run my flexible dust line from the DC to each tool, as needed.

Right now though, I can’t use my dust collector on my planer because the chips plug it. I have to use my shop vac which is less than ideal. Hoping the cyclone will eliminate this.

Also, while on the subject, should I consider a hanging dust filter machine? Or since overall my dust collection setup is so crude should I spend that money on upgrading my main dust collection system?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick 135 View Post
    Good info from all. Thanks

@Jim D - I have the 30 micron bag on it, sounds like I should upgrade. I also have no dedicated plumbing. I have a small shop area 10x21. I have my dust creating equipment and work space setup so I can run my flexible dust line from the DC to each tool, as needed.

Right now though, I can’t use my dust collector on my planer because the chips plug it. I have to use my shop vac which is less than ideal. Hoping the cyclone will eliminate this.

Also, while on the subject, should I consider a hanging dust filter machine? Or since overall my dust collection setup is so crude should I spend that money on upgrading my main dust collection system?
    My opinion may not carry much weight around here, but I would honestly upgrade .
    That machine that throws so much sawdust? I have come to believe that it doesn't matter whether your shop is 10x20 or a large auditorium, the need for dust collection is the same on each machine, would you not agree?

Please take it from me. I used little or no dc when i first started turning. As a result I became ill and was so for quite some time.
    Apparently I developed a sensitivity to saw dust. Just simply cutting a 2x4 with a hand saw sets off an allergic reaction that lasts for a couple of days or so.
    Besides, my kids and all 8 grandkids might someday want to turn a bowl.
    I want to be as confident in my DC system as I can.

Blog Entries
    Between the two I would choose the Oneida. Speaking as another who has put a separator in front of a 1 hp DC, it was unsatisfactory. I still run the one horse power DC for my jointer but have added an American fabric filter aftermarket bag. I have a full on cyclone for everything else but, space limitations are what they are. Just do your best.

I am another woodworker who was taken out of the game for a period of time because I lacked adequate dust collection early on. No thanks to daily medication I’m back in the game. Learn from our mistakes. Your health is your most important asset.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-12-2019 at 8:18 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn - when you say “full on cyclone”... what are you referring to? Brand/model?

Thanks for the info, glad you’re back in the shop.

I have the 4-inch Super Dust Deputy and contrary to the experience of others, I wasn't disappointed with it on my 1hp DC...but the catch is, the SDD was only one part of my system mod. I also replaced the old filter bag with a pleated canister filter that has about 10 times the surface area. So between the two, I had a net gain in performance.

Moral of the story: filter bags suck...so your DC can't.

My setup:

DC SDD mod.jpg
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

What brand/model is your DC Brett?

Jack, anything with a low quality filter I refer to as a dust concentrator since it takes the big chips out and returns the dangerous fine dust to your shop and lungs.

I have a friend with one, he puts it outside the shop which solves that problem except in the winter

Regards, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick 135 View Post
    Leave it where it is at
    Dust collection has came a long ways since that separator(not a cyclone by any means) was made

as to your original question either cyclone with a bigger dust collector would work
    Brett's looks very handy will have to study that one some more

Thanks everyone. I just ordered the Oneida 4” SDD. I’ll try it with my 1hp DC that I have now and decide to upgrade from there. I think either way I want the SDD as part of my dust collection setup.