Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lie Nielsen Blade for Vintage Stanley 62?

Lie Nielsen Blade for Vintage Stanley 62?

Hi,

I recently found a vintage Stanley 62 low angle jack at a local flea market (which is extremely rare for me, since I live in Germany where metal planes are few and far between). It was in quite a rough condition, with a cracked casting that has been brazed, but I got it for ten bucks and it cleaned up nicely enough to be a user. The iron is pretty much worn down to nothing, though.

Does anybody know by any chance if the iron for the Lie Nielsen 62 will fit a Stanley? The main issue I guess are the five slots machined into the bottom side of the iron into which the adjustment mechanism needs to fit. The adjuster slots on the original iron are 1/8" (3.1 mm) apart and about 5/64" (2 mm) wide, and they start right above the large slot in the middle of the iron.

Thanks
    Christoph
    Last edited by Christoph Schmitz; 06-09-2019 at 12:50 PM.

Hm, Lie Nielsen won't work, as seen here: http://www.findmytool.co.uk/new-lie-...-62-review.php.

I'll have a look at the Chinese clones and the modern Stanley 62 next.

Woodcraft offers a replacement blade for the #62 plane in their WoodRiver line, but I don't know if it's interchangeable with the Stanley 62 or only their own brand plane.

You can pick up a blade for the 62 on eBay for around $100.

LN used to make a “Stanley Replacement Blade” for the #62. I have one which, I believe, is O1 steel. It is slightly thicker than the original Stanley blade (which I do have .... no, neither are for sale). As far as I am aware, no one makes a replacement blade for the original Stanley 62.

It should be easy enough to make one. This is what it looks like ...

https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/...e~r/s-l225.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 06-10-2019 at 9:36 AM.

Here's one:

'https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Blade-for-Stanley-62-Cabinet-Makers-Block-Plane-mjdtoolparts/113757319599?hash=item1a7c76f1af:g:VKMAAOSw3etc5Hv T
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 06-09-2019 at 9:50 PM. Reason: removed direct link

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoph Schmitz View Post
    Hi,

I recently found a vintage Stanley 62 low angle jack at a local flea market (which is extremely rare for me, since I live in Germany where metal planes are few and far between). It was in quite a rough condition, with a cracked casting that has been brazed, but I got it for ten bucks and it cleaned up nicely enough to be a user. The iron is pretty much worn down to nothing, though.

[edited]

Thanks
    Christoph
    If the plane does work well with the old iron, the replacement blade Joel linked to, item #113757319599, might be your best choice.

The Stanley #62 was not one of their best castings. You will need to treat it gently. If you really want a low angle jack, you might be better served by one of the modern versions currently available.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I believe Grizzly carries the 12-242 blades.

That said, On a LA jack with an adjustable mouth the only issue will be the width and fitment to the frog adjuster.

Lee Valley, IBC and Hock also offer replacement plane irons. I've been very happy with the LV & WR irons. I like the LV better. Be prepared to do a bit of work on the WR irons.

I don't believe LV, IBC, nor Hock makes a replacement blade for the 62.

The LN #62 blade would be far too thick for the Stanley. Check with Ron Hock to see if he has a replacement lying around.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    The LN #62 blade would be far too thick for the Stanley. Check with Ron Hock to see if he has a replacement lying around.
    Mike, on a bevel up plane, the thickness and fit of a blade are unrelated. The mouth is adjustable, and can accomodate for thickness. I have a LN blade made specifically for the vintage #62, and it is 1/8” (3mm) thick. The original blade is, from memory, 2mm thick.

I do like using this Stanley #62. It is such a light plane. Just a wonderful small jointer for narrow edges. Before I had a Veritas LA Jack, the #62 was used on a shooting board. I now prefer to avoid tasks that create “shock” as it is a fragile plane. The reason that we do not see many around is that the mouths cracked. The walls, and especially the sole, are thin grey iron susceptible to cracking.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 06-15-2019 at 2:33 PM.

Don't think it'll work..Thickness of blade will be an issue....Just my thought.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    Don't think it'll work..Thickness of blade will be an issue....Just my thought.
    Nope. On bevel down thickness is relevant. Bevel up not so much, especially with a lever cap like a #62. It’s possible that if you got too thick the fixed lever cap screw wouldn’t be long enough (had that happen on a vintage #65), but the clamp screw should be fine and the cutting edge relative to the mouth never changes.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I got one from Hock Tools--

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Droege View Post
    I got one from Hock Tools--
    I just looked on Hock tools website and I could not find a blade for the 62.
    I did see wood river sells a blade for $20 is there #62 the same as a old stanley?