Thread: When to clean air cleaner filters?

When to clean air cleaner filters?

How do you know it is time to clean the filters on an air cleaner? On my cyclone or on my dust extractor, I know to clean the filters because the "suck power" goes down. But I don't think there's any similar evidence on an air cleaner, is there?

Some units have indicators that tell you when it's time to clean/replace the filters, but if you're asking the question, yours probably doesn't. I think the only option then is regular visual inspection - you'll be able to spot a dirty filter. Over time, you'll probably be able to estimate a regular schedule - every week, every two weeks, whatever - that works for how you use your shop.

Actually, you can easily make your own indicator - start by cleaning your filters and then turn the unit on. Take a strip of fabric, and fasten one end so it hangs down into the exhaust flow from the unit. Observe how far it flaps outward in the airstream. Now use that as a visual reference - when you notice the fabric isn't flapping as much, time to clean.

I run a second air filter in front of the air cleaner's filter that I tape to the unit. I let the clear packing tape over lap the corner of the filter. It is easy to see when this outer filter gets dirty based on the clean filter area under the tape.

Yesterday, when they both looked dirty.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I also run a furnace filter taped over the inlet on mine. My Delta unit does have an indicator showing the condition of the filter. I generally let mine continue to run after the indicator moves into the red with the thought being the unit is more efficient as the filter starts to get a little plugged. It still moves plenty of air.
    Regards,

Kris

I took my outer filter off over the weekend to replace it, and was surprised how dirty the inner filter was (which I've never cleaned, but never looked dirty before.

I put it in the utility sink and washed it, and it looks much better. I was surprised how much dust got through the outer filter.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by John Nordyke View Post
    Actually, you can easily make your own indicator - start by cleaning your filters and then turn the unit on. Take a strip of fabric, and fasten one end so it hangs down into the exhaust flow from the unit. Observe how far it flaps outward in the airstream. Now use that as a visual reference - when you notice the fabric isn't flapping as much, time to clean.
    I do the same, just using a ~1" strip of paper taped to the top hanging down into the exhaust stream.
    JR

Or build your own real time filter efficiency gauge: LINK
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!