Thread: Dave's Shaves Received

Dave's Shaves Received

Had a box from Dave's Shaves waiting when I made it home after work. I ordered 3 shaves, a 11" flat bottom, a 11" round bottom. and a 8" round bottom.

The three plus a "small" (9 1/2") flat bottom shave from the Windsor Chair Studio at the top of the photo:

shaves.jpg

All work very well, easy to set and are light and nimble. The build quality of the Dave's Shaves is outstanding, just beautiful tools. BTW, all four shaves use Hock O1 cutters.

In spite of my best intentions the tool jones overcomes. This morning I ordered three new Japanese kitchen knives from Stanley Covington and expect an order for a dozen or so chisels to follow, if I can make my feeble mind up on which ones to buy, The knives I kinda need or at least I can kid myself into believing I have a need, chisels not so much. It is just pure tool lust.

ken

So whatcha gonna build with those new shaves, Ken? Can you do some custom work on that new bench you just started? Surely the legs and stringers could use some customizing! Or are you gonna break down and build a windsor chair?
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Why not. Can’t take it with you. It’s just a few more items the kids will sell at an estate sale for $3 each��. In the mean time, you’re just going to have to design some curves into those benches you’re making.

Fred,

My two loves are stick chairs and workbenches. My bet is the shaves will get a fair amount of use. Usually my benches are quick and dirty, it's a shop tool dontcha know. I may pretty this build up just a little.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Why not. Can’t take it with you. It’s just a few more items the kids will sell at an estate sale for $3 each��. In the mean time, you’re just going to have to design some curves into those benches you’re making.
    Phil,

I have a good friend that I've known for years (he is 20+ years younger and we used to make furniture together), that knows tools and has the money and room to store tools. In fact he stored my shop for the last 10-15 years I worked and was moving around. Anyway once i'm gone he knows to pick 'em up and do with what he wants. It will not matter to me, though I'd hate to see some SMCer gleefully posting what a deal he got on a full set of type 9 Stanley's .

ken

"This morning I ordered three new Japanese kitchen knives"

Tell all, please.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jones View Post
    "This morning I ordered three new Japanese kitchen knives"

Tell all, please.
    Richard,

Stan was able to fill in a couple of gaps and add a second of my most used knife. The gap fillers were a 240mm Takohiki and a 180mm Deba and I wanted a second 165mm Nakkirl.

ken

An interesting read in two parts about the modern history of wood body shaves: Shave History

ken

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    An interesting read in two parts about the modern history of wood body shaves: Shave History

ken
    The part about modern tool makers/designers who do not, nor know how to use their tools has been one of my observations/beliefs about some of the modern tool makers.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 06-10-2019 at 1:04 PM. Reason: removed redundant use of use and comma
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The part about modern tool makers/designers who do not use, nor know how to use, their tools has been one of my observations/beliefs about some of the modern tool makers.

jtk
    Jim,

Sizzle vs. Steak, happens all the time and in most fields. Who was it that said "The fancier the patter the cheaper the crook".

ken