Thread: What the Heck is a Ford #6 and # 8 Viscosity Cup?

What the Heck is a Ford #6 and # 8 Viscosity Cup?

I am "testing" a waterborne Poly Topcoat and the TDS says "Viscosity using Ford Cup #6 40 +/- 5" I have googled a conversion chart for a ford #6 to #4 and found nothing. I cant even find a place to buy a number 6 cup lol.

I did thin the product 10 percent and am able to spray beautifully with my 1.8 Fujispray, but i am just curious if there is a conversion chart?

Thanks..
    Ridgid R4513 jobsite saw, Ridgid R4512 Table saw, Ridgid JP601 jointer/planer,
    Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust collector, Bosch 1617 EVSPK router, Bosch RA1181 router table, Rikon 10-326 Band saw
    Dewalt 735 planer, Fuji Q5Platinum HVLP,

I don't believe you'll find a perfect conversion chart as different sized cups work for different viscosity ranges. While there is some overlap between successive cup sizes, there isn't much. Moreso when skipping a size between cups. Having said that, searching for viscosity cup conversion chart turns up many hits that might be helpful to you.

I've always used Zahn cups. But this will tell you all you want to know about Ford cups: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_viscosity_cup
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Thanks... That clears things up :-)
    Ridgid R4513 jobsite saw, Ridgid R4512 Table saw, Ridgid JP601 jointer/planer,
    Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust collector, Bosch 1617 EVSPK router, Bosch RA1181 router table, Rikon 10-326 Band saw
    Dewalt 735 planer, Fuji Q5Platinum HVLP,