Thread: Min-was & Old Master stain combo okay

Min-was & Old Master stain combo okay

I have refinished the fir floor in one room of the house. The floor came out nicely. Pretty sure this will be my last floor finishing project. To much hands &knee work at this point. Anyway I pulled all the 6” knotty pine baseboard. It was trashed and easier to do the floor.
    Now the base board has turned into project of some magnitude. I picked up some new #2 knotty pine and am shaping the components. The walls are 100+ yr old kn. pine as well and the color charts on Min-wax and OM are way off from what I end up with. I have done several base coats of stain.Gunstock minWax, Golden Oak & Provencial wiping stain. They should dry tonight and tomorrow I’m going to apply some other colors to try to hit a suitable match for the walls. Assuming the dry base coat, is there a problem using these together? I’ll use a satin poly for finish coat.F5B628AC-C6A2-497F-AC0D-BC462129518E.jpg

If they are both oil based stain products, I doubt you'll have an issue using them together, although it's probably best to let one dry overnight before coating with the other to refine the resultant color. Matching colors can be fun, especially when there is both "new" and "old" wood involved. With the new wood, it's not just because it's new and lighter in color but also because today's pine has growth rings the width of a four lane highway vs old-growth timber having growth rings the size of a spider's silk in comparison. That changes absorption of dye and retention of pigments.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Fun?

It has been interesting seeing the results of mixes. In most cases it is the "well, what do you know." In this case not much. This base coat has possibilities. A little red on this one, a little dark brown or yellow on that. The Gun stock and Special Walnut need a little yellow, The Golden oak and Red need a little more brown. More than once it has been, what was that second coat? In a sea of 1/2 pints if you don't write it down you are lost in th sea of half pints. I need nitrile gloves and more half pints. I have time on this as i have to profile the baseboard, so on we go.

You can generally add artists universal oil colors to oil based stains without danger (at least in reasonable quantities) and I find it is often easier to alter colors that way than mixing factory colors. I just weigh a little stain and a little colorant and keep track so if I get lucky I can accurately duplicate the mix.

We have a winner. It is the Old Master Wiping Golden Oak and Cherry. Comes out a fair compromise between the floor and wall. Thanks for your help. Paul, what brand of "universal oil colors" would you recommend?