Thread: First Bandsaw Questions

First Bandsaw Questions

I'm in the market for my first bandsaw and I was hoping to get some advice. I am a hobbyist woodworker with limited shop space. Most of my work is with hand tools, but I'm thinking about a bandsaw mostly for resawing and some dimensioning of 8/4 and 6/4 lumber. For some reason, it seems 2" slabs are easy to come by in my area, but dimensional hardwood is limited to only the hardwood dealer where it demands a premium. At any rate, I am looking at the Grizzly G0513 and the G0555XH. I know the 5013 is a 2HP 17" and the 555XV is a 1.75 HP 14" saw, but for whatever reason the bigger saw is ~200 cheaper at the moment. I know next to nothing about bandsaws. Which of these would you recommend? Any other saws in the same price range worth considering?

Note, I work mostly with oak and walnut and my shop is wired only for 110v.

Hi John,
    They both look like quality saws, and both are made in Taiwan. I have found that the fit and finish of the Taiwan machines is generally nicer than the Chinese equivalents. The G0513ANV is currently priced at $875 and in stock. The G0513 is $997 and also in stock. I would probably be very happy with either one - although I prefer the stock colors of the G0513 over the darker color scheme of the anniversary edition. I'm sure that some of the other members may have suggestions as to alternatives to the Grizzly saws.
    David

Bandsaw is a tool where "bigger" is not a lot of extra floor space, but does add some nice capacity. I like my steel-spined 14" saw, but definitely should have been in the 17" - 20" range of throat for my hobby work. I do mostly resaw and cutting log scraps into turning blanks--all hobby.
    earl

Of the two that you listed, I would lean toward the 513 series. The 555 series is a 14" bandsaw, with a built in riser, and while it will resaw, the frames of the 513 series are going to be stronger.
    The 513 you did identified though, is not the model I would chose in that category. I would go with the 513X2. It has cast iron wheels, and it is not on closeout subject to stock availability. The increased mass of a cast iron wheel,as compared to the mass of an aluminum wheel, add a lot of rotational energy at the outer circumference.
    Resawing is a function where "bigger is better". Bigger motors, heavier machines, heavier wheels, etc. If resawing is truly what you primarily are after, find the largest, heaviest, most powerful, bandsaw you can afford that will fit in your shop.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

When you say 110v do you have the ability to wire in a new circuit? I ask because the 2hp models are going to be right at the upper limit of a 20amp breaker. Having cast iron wheels might mean the motor has to work for a little longer to get up to speed. In the turner's forum a member was having problems with a 1 1/2" dust collector on a 20 amp circuit. I personally don't like the Grizzy 17" saws with euro guide blocks. I haven't seen them in person but they look round vs the standard square shape. Sooner or later they will need replacing and I like the idea of having choices.

For 14" saws from Grizzly I would look at the G0778. It might be a little above your budget but it could play better with your power limitations. It also seams like it has upgrades like the cast iron trunnion. It has a 10" resaw capacity, not sure if that's an issue, vs the 12" of the others. If you're sure that 2hp is going to work in your shop then I would look at the G0817. It's on sale and has a 14" resaw capacity (most likely more than you'll ever need). It's also 100lbs heavier than the G0778.

For 17" I think the G0513 and the G513ANV are basically the same saw with different paint. Maybe someone else can confirm this. I agree with Mike, I would step up to the G0513X2. With the G0513X2 you get the cast iron wheels, a cast iron fence with the 6" aluminum resaw fence, and the cast iron trunnion. I have the G0514X2 and really like the cast iron tunnion. Since you said you get 6/4 and 8/4 wood you would like to resaw you will most likely want the resaw fence. If not then I would just save some money and get the ANV model vs the standard 513.

My (somewhat) local Rockler has both the Laguna and Rikon bandsaws models that would be similar to the Grizzly saws in stock. I don't know if you have one (or another woodworking store) that has models like the 14/12 Laguna in stock.

My mm16 has the euro guides, and they are easily adjusted and work great for me. My thinking 15 years ago, was to get the best bandsaw I could afford, so as not to be considering selling it and up grading. And my saw works excellent and runs smooth. I buy my blades from B&S saw shop, they order them in and can not tell when the welds go through the guides. Old blades from 40 years ago went whack whack through the guides.

You say 110 volts. are you in the Caribbean or maybe Columbia? Shipping will be a problem.
    Your power woould have been upgraded to 120 at least 70 years ago if in North America.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 06-09-2019 at 1:28 PM.

I think I would be happy with a Grizzly but I am currently looking at different options. My minimum saw is a WEN 14 available for about $500 from Home Depot. I don't think it's as capable as the saws you are looking at but it is less expensive.

I used to use a home made bandsaw which had 12 inch wheels and a 1/2 hp motor. The WEN is better than that. It will cut wood over 8 inches thick but the 14 amp motor will require a reduced feed rate. But that issue will be true for anything running on 110V. Really deep cuts will be challenging. Blades make a big difference, however.

At the other end of the spectrum are a Laguana 14-12 for about $1200 or a Rikon 10-326 for a similar price, maybe available for $1100 right now. They seem to be the top rated saws which cut about 12 inches deep, have 14 inch throats, and run on 110V. While more than your Grizzlys they are not as much more as they are the WEN.

For years I've used good enough tools. I am starting to go for "the best tool" but still struggling with the price difference. It's nice we have so many choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    You say 110 volts. are you in the Caribbean or maybe Columbia? Shipping will be a problem.
    Your power woould have been upgraded to 120 at least 70 years ago if in North America.
    Bill D
    Sorry, I meant to say 120.

Decided to expand my search. Anyone have experience with the Laguna 14/12?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM Martin View Post
    Decided to expand my search. Anyone have experience with the Laguna 14/12?
    Hi John,
    I have no personal experience with the Laguna, as I use the Grizzly 17". But here is a review that may be of interest to you (if you haven't already seen it).
    David

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGW73rSvP8c

Laguna 1412 Bandsaw Review.jpg

John I have some experience with bandsaws of different sizes. I currently own and use a Delta 14'' saw and a Centauro CO 600 (24'') saw. I previously had a Steel City 18'' saw that would be very comparable to the Grizzly 513,514 saws. What I have noticed is that when I had the steel city I used it all the time and very rarely used the Delta,mainly because it worked real well with 3/8'' or 1/2'' width blades. Now with a larger blade on the Centauro I have the best of both worlds,it is primarily ripping and resaw and the Delta does the rest. So my experience would lead me to suggest that if you want one bandsaw for all types of work that the 17''-19'' wheel size is the sweet spot for a versatile machine capable of a lot.I would stay in that range and bypass the 14'' saws. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    Hi John,
    I have no personal experience with the Laguna, as I use the Grizzly 17". But here is a review that may be of interest to you (if you haven't already seen it).
    David

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGW73rSvP8c

Laguna 1412 Bandsaw Review.jpg
    I haven't seen many negative reviews about the 0513 series saws, mostly positive.

I own a Rikon 14" and it does a good job resawing; generally 6" wide boards or less. If your main purpose is to resaw boards to 3/4" from 2" and these are mainly more than 6" wide boards, I would go with larger than a 14". Rikon makes an 18" which I believe would be a good saw. My 14" performs well but, for the primary purpose of resawing I think the larger saw would be better. (I have no experience with Grizzly or Laguna, but am very satisfied with my Rikon.)

I've have a Laguna 14/12 for the past three years. It is my first floor standing bandsaw and I've been very happy with it.

I have limited space, so I toll is out when I need it. The dust collection is pretty good.

The guides are ceramic and are easy to adjust. Likewise, blade swaps are easy, but mine primarily lives with a 3TPI Resaw King blade on it and that has no issue cutting anything I've tried.

I would buy it again.