My hollow-form system uses a laser pointer held by a frame that is linked to the cutter handle. This enables you to align it with the tip of the cutter (or out in front of it), and know about where it is cutting when it is out-of-sight inside the hollow vessel.

The original laser is failing (intermittently bright, dim, off), and this is with new batteries. I don't know the history of this laser, because I acquired the hollow-form system in an estate sale (former club member passed away, widow is selling off shop equipment). But I expect it has had several years use, doing some high-vibration work, and has gotten shaken nearly to death. Gotta replace it.

Has anyone used one of the laser pointers available, for example, from Amazon, for this purpose? They are essentially the same form factor (metal tube that contains the 2 AAA batteries, electrical contacts, the laser itself, and a switch). I think the cheapo laser pointer will fit the holder that now holds the old, failing laser pointer. Cost is about 1/6 of what the hollow-form system's website charges for a replacement laser pointer.

Has anyone tried this?