Thread: Wiring question

Wiring question

I rearranged my garage and the jointer cord won’t reach the 220 or 240 car charging outlet.

The cord is 10 feet of 12 AWG, and I need about 4 more feet.

Any thoughts on whether it would be better to start over with a 14’ cord, or do some sort of shorter extension cord.

32FAA1B5-2B75-4F33-A058-5A3C43FA707D.jpg85E0FB48-6843-4AC5-80E2-533402979FB1.jpg

Cheaper to replace the wire, easier to buy an extension.

Thanks. Don’t know I missed that thread.

I think I will make a new pigtail for the machine and use existing cord as an extension cord.

What is the circuit breaker rating for the car charger? What is the wire size for the car charging cable?

Charley

The breaker box has tandem 30 amp breakers. Not sure about the gauge of the wire to the outlet, but the house is fairly new, so it would meet code.

The jointer manufacturer (Hammer) specified a max 20 amp breaker for the machine, so I had an electrician install a sub panel on the back of the machine with a 20 amp breaker and an outlet. The pigtail from the machine goes to that outlet, and the 12 gauge cord runs from the sub-panel to the wall outlet. So, I guess To extend it, I would have a pigtail coming out of the sub panel, and then an extension cord to the wall outlet.

Hope that makes sense.

Between the 30 amp breaker in your main panel and the 20 amp breaker on your sub panel, all of the wire and connectors should to be be rated for 30 amps, thus it should be #10 wire. The power cord and tool are only rated for about 20 amps so it's #12 wire is only good for the wiring from the 20 amp breaker to the tool. If the tool only requires 240 volt power, 3 conductor cable (2 hot, 1 Ground) is necessary. If the tool has any need for 120 volt power as well as 240 volt power, then you need 4 conductor cable (2 hot, 1 Neutral, 1 Ground). When doing a job like this, I always use 4 conductor cable and connectors so I have Neutral available just in case I want to add a 120 volt light or other accessory to the tool.

Charley

That actually makes it easier. New #10 short pigtail and extension cord between sub panel and wall outlet, and repurpose the original 12 gauge cord.

You can use 12AWG flexible cord for your sub panel feed.

Branch circuit protection is only for the wiring from the over current protection to the receptacle, it has no relationship to the circuit beyond that point.

I don’t have a copy of the US code however 12/3 flexible cord would be rated close to 30 amperes for 2 current carrying conductors.....Regards, Rod