Thread: Leg vise hardware

Leg vise hardware

Hi all,
    I've begun shopping for leg vise hardware and originally wanted to use a Yost 18" screw... But. They don't seem to make them anymore. Anyone have some other suggestions for a cheap alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Haugle View Post
    Hi all,
    I've begun shopping for leg vise hardware and originally wanted to use a Yost 18" screw... But. They don't seem to make them anymore. Anyone have some other suggestions for a cheap alternative?
    Scaffold leveling jacks are perfect this this application. You'll likely need to make a few minor modifications, but they can be done with an angle grinder or hack saw.

https://www.menards.com/main/paint/l...307662&&ipos=1

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    Scaffold leveling jacks are perfect this this application. You'll likely need to make a few minor modifications, but they can be done with an angle grinder or hack saw.

https://www.menards.com/main/paint/l...307662&&ipos=1
    I thought about this (saw a Jay Bates video), bit he had a whole hub assembly. I would need to find that also. Any ideas for this?

I used the Veritas tail vise screw. Has performed well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Haugle View Post
    I thought about this (saw a Jay Bates video), bit he had a whole hub assembly. I would need to find that also. Any ideas for this?
    IIRC he turned the wooden hub and handle on the lathe. This is what I did the last time I needed something like this. A drill press could also work in a pinch if you don't have access to a lathe.

Honestly, the screw is the most difficult piece to replicate, everything else is a matter of taste, and what you have access too, IMHO. Really all you need for the hub is something that goes through the screw, and turns it.