Thread: Working on a set of these?

Working on a set of these?

yard sale today..added a few extra screwdrivers...
    IMG_8463.JPG
    Them Yankees are addicting, but...the set I am trying to build..
    IMG_8465.JPG
    Problem? each is from a different maker/seller....From HSB & Co. to WM Johnson..to Brown & Co.
    That large #3 Phillips? Has the model number stamped on the shaft..and a pair of patent dates to boot
    IMG_8467.JPG
    When you see a hay wagon filled with box lots of tools...screwdrivers( 5 boxes!)
    IMG_8457.JPG
    Yes, that is a metal handle...would have taken the $1 bundle...one handle was split.
    Maybe between these to drills..
    IMG_8462.JPG
    May have enough parts from the right one, so fix up the No. 55 Pilot one on the left?
    Spent the grand total of...$10 today....bit of a splurge?
    Turned down a drill press today ($20?)
    IMG_8455.JPG
    One, I didn't have the room for it, and two, it is missing the handle/crank....and was frozen solid...how many gallons of Evaporust would it need?
    $2 saw?
    IMG_8461.JPGPlate was flimsy
    Been sharpen way too many times. medallion is a "Diamond Edge" logo....on an Atkins handle..with a crack...pass.
    IMG_8454.JPG
    the hay wagon.....or should I say "Hey, Wagon"? Those white boards at the back end of the wagon, were 2 peg boards, each with old wrenches wired in place on the white peg boards. may go back tomorrow, and see what deals he has left....

English turnscrews, likely from Sheffield! Nice! What an interesting sale you came across. I'd think it would be rare to find a set of those this side of the pond, let alone in the wild. Who are the various makers? I have one that was shipped to me from Israel.
    Last edited by Kurtis Johnson; 06-08-2019 at 8:16 AM.

Brown & Co......HSB & Co. And WM. Johnson of Newark, NJ..and another with a large oval logo that I can't read....There were a few others at the sale...just missed those..

Thanks, and sorry. I overlooked the fact you'd already mentioned manufacturers. I had no idea those were made here too. All mine are English. There are so many nice screwdrivers there. My mouth is watering!
    Last edited by Kurtis Johnson; 06-08-2019 at 9:00 PM.

Eggbeater rehab,,,,
    IMG_8470.JPGIMG_8473.JPGIMG_8471.JPG
    A drop of oil, runs nice and quiet, and smooth...also picked one of these...things..
    IMG_8472.JPG
    Goes from 3/8" to 1-1/2". made by The L.L. Lord Co. of Meadville, PA. Called a No. 3......$1
    Not too bad of a weekend?

A question about the Yankees...
    June barn Sale, rehab 2.JPG
    Should I leave these handles bare? Or, paint them bright red?
    June Barn Sale, Yankees.JPG
    Like this newer Stanley No. 30A...maybe mask off the metal works, and paint the wood handles? Or, just varnish them up?

Hmmm...most of the bare wood ones I have..have traces of red paint on them. have about 4 or 5 with bare wood handles. may see how they look...

Was the red handle a "Stanley" thing? Or, did North Brothers also paint the handles red?

There IS one in the stash I have..that has a fluted wood handle...Craftsman, maybe?
    IMG_3975 (640x480).jpg
    Second from the left. ( have since added a few more to this mess...addicting things)
    Still working on this little screwdriver..
    June barn Sale, rehab 3.JPG
    Little red handle....it will ratchet, has a selector switch. teeth on the shaft may be a bit too worn down...can't quite read the logo on it..yet.

That Craftsman....does not use the selector switch....I have to rotate that housing. It is knurled for a better grip...I doubt if North Brothers/ Stanley made it...

had 5 handles that needed a new coat of red paint...leaves me with 5 more, plus the Craftsman, with bare wood handles...plus a Gray and a Black handled Handyman pair.

Now, to go and see IF millers Falls made the Craftsman version...

Yep...Model No. 610 and 610A...Craftsman fluted handle instead of the Millers falls style wood handle...

Will check on the paint job later,,,may post a picture..IF.. they have the problem with pictures fixed, by then...

Discovered I do have one Yankee screwdriver I can use for part,,as it is missing the selector switch/button....

And one that needs parts...
    Paint job 2, broken.JPG
    As the one in front needs new bronze nuts to guide the ratchet...won't lock to drive...
    New paint job..
    Paint job 1.JPG
    I didn't paint the Craftsman's handle, wasn't sure what they used..
    Craftsman handle.JPG
    And yes, it is a Millers Falls version..
    Craftsman grip selector.JPG
    Either a #610, or a #610A.....
    have two more North Bros./Stanley ones upstairs....one before and one after Stanley bought them out in 1949...haven't decided on painting them, yet.
    Might varnish all the wood handles that don't get the red paint...just dip and hang?