Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reading Italian motor tag

Reading Italian motor tag

Today I scored a crazy deal on a Powermatic 36" bandsaw/resaw. I haven't found a model on it or anything. But maybe you guys can help me understand the motor tag. Specifically I'm wondering about the CAV 8. Is that 8 HP?

Thank you!

Matt
    Last edited by Matt Ward; 06-08-2019 at 1:46 AM.

TIPO H112M -???
    CAV 8. -???
    GIRI 3400. -RPM?
    A 23.2. -Amps
    Hz 60. -Htz

I tried clicking on your link, but Google said "access denied".

So assuming this is a 3 phase 220v motor.... yup 23 amps is right in the neighborhood of 8 hp.

JeffD

Yep, it's 3 PH.

Yes, that is 8hp, 3 phase.....Rod

I believe it's a Powermatic BW900. It's 36". Fully functional, good condition, includes power feed, 3 brand new blades, one used blade, spare blade guides. $1000. I think I did alright! 😁

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    So assuming this is a 3 phase 220v motor.... yup 23 amps is right in the neighborhood of 8 hp.

"horse" in Italian is cavallo

I've seen Italian motors that state the hp at 50 hz even though the motor was converted to 60 hz and produces 20% more. 23 amps is strong for 8 hp so you have more than enough motor for resawing. The good news is the frame is 112. While 132 is even better, many Euro motors of equivalent hp use a smaller 100 frame. Larger is better. Dave

Seems like a pretty nice deal for what you got. Was that the one in Boise, or a different one? If you go to vintagemachinery.org you can download a Powermatic general line catalog with info on that machine. It's the 1980s one with gold machines on the cover. I think the specifications say it's a 7-1/2hp 3-phase motor.

--Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Crimmins View Post
    Seems like a pretty nice deal for what you got. Was that the one in Boise, or a different one? If you go to vintagemachinery.org you can download a Powermatic general line catalog with info on that machine. It's the 1980s one with gold machines on the cover. I think the specifications say it's a 7-1/2hp 3-phase motor.

--Geoff
    Yes, that's right. Thanks for the referral. I will check that out.

That would be too big of a motor for my electrical service to start. I think my Rpc could probably do it but my neighbors wouldn’t be happy seeing their lights dim.
    Just my curiosity how do plan on running it Rpc or vfd.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    That would be too big of a motor for my electrical service to start. I think my Rpc could probably do it but my neighbors wouldn’t be happy seeing their lights dim.
    Just my curiosity how do plan on running it Rpc or vfd.
    Good Luck
    Well, if I can't run it, I will put it in my best bud's shop and run it on 3 phase. For now I'm looking into my options for VFD or RPC. I've already got it sitting next to a 50 amp circuit, so some research is in order. I believe a 50 amp circuit is sufficient though. We'll see.