Thread: DeWalt 618 router speed issue

DeWalt 618 router speed issue

I was using my DeWalt 618 variable speed router today and all was good to start. It the decide to fluctuate it's speed. Slow to fast fast to slow. It would do this even with now load. The motor sounded like it was chattering/crackling. I hope the router is just screaming for new brushes.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue? If so what was the fix. I would hate to loose this router as it only has a little use under it's belt.
    Last edited by Matthew Curtis; 06-08-2019 at 1:08 PM.

I’d definitely contact DeWalt with the specifics and see if they could replace it. Or the store where you bought it if they have a good return policy.

There is a shaft speed sensor near the top end of the motor shaft. It senses a special kind-of flat fan shaped disk to measure the motor speed. It sounds to me like there is a problem with this sensor or disk. I have read where others have had this disk become detached from the motor shaft so this might be the case. The speed control electronics module could also be the cause. I own three DW618 routers and have never had a problem with them, at least not yet. In either case, a trip to the DeWalt repair shop is likely the best way to get it fixed.

Charley