Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY sawstop industrial saw mobile base?

DIY sawstop industrial saw mobile base?

Has anyone seen a DIY version of the sawstop industrial saw mobile base?

I have access to welding equipment and I’m looking for some design guidance on making a base that uses a small foot operated hydraulic jack to lift the saw up onto 4 swivel casters like the one sawstop sells, I just can’t bring myself to pay almost $400 for a mobile base.

Thanks
    Duke

Hi Duke,
    I would highly recommend the Grizzly Bear Crawl Heavy Duty Mobil Base for your application. I have one installed on my 600 lb. table saw and it works great. It has lifting jacks with foot operated levers to raise or lower it. This is a very stable unit. It is rated at 1200 lbs. For around $70, I would probably spend almost that much for the materials to build one.
    David

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...le-Base/T28000

Grizzly Bear Crawl HD Mobile Base.jpg Grizzly 1023rlwx cast iron router table extension.jpg Grizzly Sliding Attachment 1.jpg

The SawStop ICS base has 4 swivel casters. That's why a lot of people like it. It makes moving the saw in tight places much easier.

Tim

I have the Sawstop industrial mobile base and would gladly buy one again if needed. It is far and away the best mobile base I have ever used.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Janssen View Post
    The SawStop ICS base has 4 swivel casters. That's why a lot of people like it. It makes moving the saw in tight places much easier.

Tim
    Hi Tim and Larry,
    The Grizzly has 2 swivel casters and 2 fixed, which could probably be changed out for swivels for around $20 or so. I am not knocking the Saw Stop - I'm sure it is first rate. Duke indicated that he is on a budget and wanted to build something to mimic the Saw Stop. I offered him an alternative route. So for less than 1/4 of the price of the Saw Stop - this may be a viable alternative for him. Thanks for your input.
    David

David, it’s funny you should mention the bear crawl base, as I have already ordered one and will probably use it for the sawstop.

The advantage of the sawstop is the 4 swivel as mentioned.

I have to admit, I like to tinker with equipment as much as I like to woodwork so the idea of making something like the sawstop base appeals to me.

I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one as I did find at least one video on YouTube where someone built a base with small bottle jack to lift 2 of the wheels.

Once I put the saw on the bear crawl, I may decide it works fine and abandon this project but I’d still be interested in seeing how someone else worked it out if they have.

Duke

If you enjoy tinkering, that is great. I would rather spend the time making sawdust. I need to move my Sawstop PCS to make room for using other tools. The Sawstop industrial base makes it so easy even for this older woodworker.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    If you enjoy tinkering, that is great. I would rather spend the time making sawdust. I need to move my Sawstop PCS to make room for using other tools. The Sawstop industrial base makes it so easy even for this older woodworker.
    Hi Larry,
    There's really no need to "tinker" - the Grizzly Bear Craw mobile base works great as is - right out of the box. I understand that the SawStop folks are really proud of their stuff. If I was buying a new SawStop then I would probably end up buying their mobile base as well. It looks like good stuff. But at around $400 vs under $100 for the alternative, then perhaps I would consider my budget as well. A guy could buy some really nice saw blades with that extra $300.
    David

I really like 4 casters. Moving a 52" saw around gets real hard if you have to move the saw in the other directions that a straight caster won't allow. A smaller saw, I say it's not THAT critical.

I know that the thread is older, but Grizzly makes a heavy duty (900lb capacity) with four swiveling casters for easy mobility. When the saw, etc, is not being moved the wheels retract and the tool rests on four adjustable legs. $104 plus shipping.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...le-base/t31566

11. Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    The Grizzly has 2 swivel casters and 2 fixed
    David
    Hi David, Grizzly also makes a Bear Crawl with 4 swivel casters T31566 - Bear Crawl All Swivel HD Mobile Base

12. Quote Originally Posted by Paul Wunder View Post
    I know that the thread is older, but Grizzly makes a heavy duty (900lb capacity) with four swiveling casters for easy mobility. When the saw, etc, is not being moved the wheels retract and the tool rests on four adjustable legs. $104 plus shipping.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...le-base/t31566
    The wheels do not retract and this is important for table saw use. There are 4 foot operated cams you step on that raise the base and wheels up off the floor. The only thing holding the whole saw up from slamming back down onto the wheels during a cut is the cam. I mention this because while reviewing that mobile base I found a guy who reported that the cams on his frequently failed dropping the base back down onto the wheels. I would NOT want that happing in the middle of a table saw cut.

I purchased 2 of these bases, one for a welding table and the other for a mortising machine. I won't be using them on a table saw or other machine where cam failure could result in serious injury, just saying.

I just got a contactor saw stop. I have a shop fox mobile base so I don't need a mobile base but I was looking at the feet of the saw where you put in the adjustable feet and I was thinking, why not just install casters directly into the same hole? Any input on that idea?

Matt, I have the contractor saw as well, but I sprang for the mobile base. My only thought is that casters might be harder to keep from vibrating and moving, as it would make the saw a bit more top-heavy. But its worth a try. Report back if you do.
    < insert spurious quote here >

The issue with the casters on the feet is they do not allow a steady base against movement. I discovered this on my Craftsman 113 saw. I ended up getting the mobile base that craftsman had at the time. I liked it but the same issue with only having 2 swivel wheels others have mentioned. I am actually thinking of buying the industrial base for my PCS. I have to move the saw and have the PCS base with the 2 fixed wheels under the saw and swivel on the side. You have to have the room to steer it. You might want to also check out the WoodRiver - Retracting Casters at https://www.woodcraft.com/products/w...RoC4BcQAvD_BwE now. Good luck. Dan