Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Warning about Routers

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    Top speed of old bessy is 1400 rpm.
    Don't neglect the gearing effect: With some rough math, if a 12" dia work-piece is turning 1400 RPM with no slippage between work-piece and grinder, the lathe would drive a 1" dia grinder at something close to 16,800 RPM.

No idea of your respective dimensions, but something to keep in mind.

Mark,
    How are you healing up? I just relayed this story to another woodworking friend, thanks again for sharing this warning about router speed controls.

Hi Jeff,

doing well thanks, my face is healing quite well, i will have a nice scar, but the doctor did a good job sewing it back together considering the mess. I still have some swelling on my lip and cheek, i have started eating solid food, its a bit awkward because of the damage inside my mouth and my my teeth hurt and a few are loose. I have a few more followup appointments, then off to the dentist to see what the damage to the teeth is. I had bruising all around my left eye down my cheek, past my chin and down to the bottom of my neck, and a bruise on my chest. I still can't speak properly, but that is improving. All in all that's life, incredibly lucky and unlucky at the same time. I am feeling good and have been working on the next machine rebuild.

Thank you for asking and i thank everyone that wished me well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Mark,
    How are you healing up? I just relayed this story to another woodworking friend, thanks again for sharing this warning about router speed controls.

Wow Mark so sorry..

In a moment just about anything can happen.

I never let consequence influence my decision making when recreating “not that I intentional do risky or stupid things” when there is a “safer” alternative. Point is I never let fear guide my decision making.

On the flip side my worst fear is kinda like yours where you don’t end up dead but maybe seriously handicapped.

I myself took a 30’ direct groundfall onto a rock ledge rock climbing and shattered my ankle. It messed my life up for a year real bad not to mention my head and I never climbed again. It shook me enough I couldn’t help but realize had I just bumped my head the wrong way on the way down I coulda been a burden to those I love for a lifetime. I don’t much care about dying “not that I want to” but I’m not concerned by deaths the slightest. But resining someone else’s life or losing a hand when I a workaholic man o man...

Heal up and get us some sexy inspiring pictures would yah...

I hope for your sake this will not dissuade your from continuing to work. I regret it a little bit everyday that I let fear take me away from my passion. I climbed 3-5 days a week for a good five years. I figured I’d get old in the mountains. I replaced that passion with Woodworking. Not that Woodworking as you well know is not without risk. Hopefully not quite the same.

I did pull a 19 hour straight work day yesterday. I couldn’t help but think at 2 am 18 hrs in that it was very dangerous using large shop machinery.
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 06-21-2019 at 7:52 PM.

Hi Malcolm,

The router and the part in the lathe were not in contact at any time.
    The router and the lathe would be turning in opposite directions if and when in contact.
    The lathe was running at 65rpm.
    To call this grinding is really a gross misrepresentation of the work, this should be referred to as honing; the grinding wheel is barely touching the metal parts, maybe taking a 0.0001" or so at most. per pass.
    This operation is done after machining to within a 0.001- 0.002" So creep up on the final dimension a tiny bit at a time and check a hundred times.

1-SAM_4765.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Don't neglect the gearing effect: With some rough math, if a 12" dia work-piece is turning 1400 RPM with no slippage between work-piece and grinder, the lathe would drive a 1" dia grinder at something close to 16,800 RPM.

No idea of your respective dimensions, but something to keep in mind.

Hi Patrick, Thanks and don't worry about me, i am fine.

Life is an unnecessary risk.
    We live with danger and take risks and place trust in every aspect of our lives, From everything in our homes, cars, buildings roads, bridges, cars, airplanes, medications, food chain and water supply etc.. Then ad what risk we take in lifestyle and entertainment, it surprising anyone lives to old age.

There is only so much that we have control over, and we each must make our own judgement on how much risk we are comfortable with, that is different for everyone.

I am 65, i have worked with dangerous machinery and equipment all of my life, i have worked continuously long hours, 44 on one weekend, worked many days around the clock, on my own. I am okay with that, nobody messes with my stuff, nobody distracts me, i know my machines and work with confidence. I have never been afraid of my equipment; this problem with the router has changed that, i don't know how that will work going forward.
    I would rather work 24 hours on my own than 8 with others around.

Anyway, we will see how it goes from here.

30' is a big drop, i did my two story roof, preferred working in the night when i couldn't see the ground.

Thanks Again Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Wow Mark so sorry..

In a moment just about anything can happen.

I never let consequence influence my decision making when recreating “not that I intentional do risky or stupid things” when there is a “safer” alternative. Point is I never let fear guide my decision making.

On the flip side my worst fear is kinda like yours where you don’t end up dead but maybe seriously handicapped.

I myself took a 30’ direct groundfall onto a rock ledge rock climbing and shattered my ankle. It messed my life up for a year real bad not to mention my head and I never climbed again. It shook me enough I couldn’t help but realize had I just bumped my head the wrong way on the way down I coulda been a burden to those I love for a lifetime. I don’t much care about dying “not that I want to” but I’m not concerned by deaths the slightest. But resining someone else’s life or losing a hand when I a workaholic man o man...

Heal up and get us some sexy inspiring pictures would yah...

I hope for your sake this will not dissuade your from continuing to work. I regret it a little bit everyday that I let fear take me away from my passion. I climbed 3-5 days a week for a good five years. I figured I’d get old in the mountains. I replaced that passion with Woodworking. Not that Woodworking as you well know is not without risk. Hopefully not quite the same.

I did pull a 19 hour straight work day yesterday. I couldn’t help but think at 2 am 18 hrs in that it was very dangerous using large shop machinery.