Thread: 2nd project for finishing

2nd project for finishing

I am in the process of finishing my 2nd project so its still new to me, trying to learn what I can and can't do to make it look its best. I had a board thats around 40" long and I stained half of it then wiped it off, then I had to go take care of something so when I stained the other half and I can see the middle where they overlap is darker.

questions:
    1.)I am assuming that you should try to stain the whole board whatever the length before wiping, is this correct?
    2.)Is there any way to combat this darkness that occurs where I have started and stopped.

Thanks for any tips.
    (p.s. I am using a water based stain)

Aaron, that's the nature of stain. If you want it darker, stain it, let it dry and then come back for a second coat. That's essentially what happened to you and, because it's water based, the drying time in between coats is much shorter than with oil. With oil, had it not been left for a long time to dry, there's a good shot that it would've blended more readily. Now, I may be out in left field with this but, in my experience with water based, there's not a real good chance that you can match it back up. OTOH, water based also does not penetrate as readily or as deeply as oil. You probably stand a good chance of sanding the whole surface and starting fresh. If you do this and continue with the WB stain, then you already know the answer to your first question.

BTW, in case nobody has mentioned it before, the TOS of SMC required full real names. Unfortunately, you can't edit that part yourself. However, if you drop Jackie Outten a private message, and let her know proper name info, she'll take care of that for you.

Good luck with the project and we'll be looking forward to pics!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Thanks for the tips, I knew I should of finished it first. I mostly use water based stain because my shop is my basement and its much easier to handle the fumes. I have used oil based my only when its warmer and I can open my garage door.

The good thing out of this whole thing is I learned how not to stain but the big PLUS is that the project is a quilt rack so most of these will be covered up. Its just for my house and I would of like it to come out better but I guess thats the learning curve.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron B
    Thanks for the tips, I knew I should of finished it first. I mostly use water based stain because my shop is my basement and its much easier to handle the fumes. I have used oil based my only when its warmer and I can open my garage door.

The good thing out of this whole thing is I learned how not to stain but the big PLUS is that the project is a quilt rack so most of these will be covered up. Its just for my house and I would of like it to come out better but I guess thats the learning curve.

Thanks again
    Totally understood about the environmental concerns! I've got a stand-alone shop and, when I'm forced to color woods, I too try and use either, water-based or aniline dyes, due to the fumes thing. As it is, I like the natural look of woods but, that still means Velvit Oil or BLO, either of which still smell. I know I wouldn't be able to get away with it in the house!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!