Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Moravian Bench build

The UPS girl was good to me yesterday. She delivered a set of Sukezane Oirenomi chisels from Stan and the BenchCrafted Classic vise screw with the 14" Crisscross. Xmas in June and pretty close to the Summer Solstice as well. With the vise screw in hand there will be no delay once the slab is finished.

The chisels still in the box:

Sukezane oiirenomi.jpg

Exciting photo , the next is even more exciting, the BC screw also in the box it came in:

BCviseCrisscrpss.jpg

Next up is chopping the long stretcher mortises. The mortises are marked and are ~25mm wide. I'll use a long 3/4" drill to drill out most of the waste and then clean 'em up with chisels. Because the bottom and top of the mortises are angled I'll use the tenon cheek cutoffs as a guide for the drill.

benchDrillGuide.jpg

The long stretcher mortises are the final step on the base units before glue up. A way to go yet but I can almost smell the barn.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    Good progress Ken...Thanks for posting...We envy you....
    Thanks Jerry,

It's a fun build.

ken

We had to put our big yellow Lab, Sam the Wonder Dog, down last Friday. I'm very much missing Sam at my feet and barking for a treat but life must go on and the best way for that is to get back in the shop.

I'm not much of one for drilling and paring mortises. Every year or so I forget what a disaster the last time I tried it was. Well it's been more than a year and it is still a disaster. I'll save the leg but you will not be seeing any photos of the inside of the long stretcher mortise on at least that leg. That's the bad news, the good is what the inside of the long stretcher mortise looks like makes no never mind, it just needs to be a loose fitting mortise with intact shoulders.

It's back to chopping the mortises, a photo of getting ready to chop.

benchReadyToChopLongStretcherMortise.jpg

A Narex firmer chisel with a Hornbean handle makes a pretty good wide mortise chisel, not as good as a pigsticker but it's hard to find a 25mm pigsticker .

Once the rest of the mortises are chopped it will be time to glue up the base units. I can't see the barn but it should be over the next rise.

ken

My condolences - losing a pet is always hard.

Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Whitehorn View Post
    My condolences - losing a pet is always hard.

Patrick
    Thanks Patrick, it has been a tough couple of days. Sam was "my" dog and my best bud.

ken

Ken,
    I'm sorry about Sam. I know what that's like.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Very sorry about Sam. There is some very special attachment to your "shop dog".
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Very sorry about Sam. There is some very special attachment to your "shop dog".
    Jim
    Thanks Jim. All dogs are good some are just better, Sam was better

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Ken,
    I'm sorry about Sam. I know what that's like.
    Fred
    Thanks Fred. It's hard have critters in your life because you know the ending to the story going in. But then they bring so much joy and richness that is is worth the hurt.

ken

Hi Ken,

Also very sorry to hear of the loss of Sam.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Hi Ken,

Also very sorry to hear of the loss of Sam.

Best,
    Chris
    Thanks Chris.

One more mortise to chop and the base of the bench will be ready for glue up. That's the good news, the bad is, it is slow going in the heat of the day and now we are in Monsoon season and it doesn't cool off that much at night.

ken

I'm Sorry to hear about Sam, Ken. It is too bad, that dogs cannot live as long as us.

Try to take it a little easier in the heat, if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    I'm Sorry to hear about Sam, Ken. It is too bad, that dogs cannot live as long as us.

Try to take it a little easier in the heat, if you can.
    Thanks Michael. Sam was a special dog, everyone should be so lucky as to have a Sam in their life at least once.

The workbench build ran into a snag last night. I totally messed up one of the tenons on a long stretcher. After much "well if I" and maybe "this would work" I bit the bullet this morning and made a trip to the woodstore for another hunk of 12/4 Poplar.

ken