Thread: Table Saw Purchase - Please Help!

Table Saw Purchase - Please Help!

Ok, so I have decided to upgrade my Craftsman professional hybrid 1.75hp saw to a cabinet saw and although i wanted to buy a brand new Grizzly Q1023RLX for $1800 I have found a Unisaw #34-802 for 800 with 3hp single phase.
    Here is where I am at:
    1. the griz I would buy the set-up with the router extension just to get both cast iron wing and then add my extension to get to the 52” rip capacity
    2. I really wanted new – I always have bought used to save money and get a better tool
    3. there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with the unisaw.
    My gut tells me the unisaw is a better piece of machinery but new for once sure sounds nice
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Steve

What fence is on the Uni? Is it plug and play?

I prefer old US machinery personally. There are plenty of parts available too if you happen to need something.

If you really want new and can afford it, maybe that’s the way to go so you don’t regret something.

Beisemyer fence on the uni, i think it is a right tilt.
    How smooth should it run - there are only two belts on it right now - pulleys for three. when i lay my hand on it while running there is some very mild vibration.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Harman View Post
    Beisemyer fence on the uni, i think it is a right tilt.
    How smooth should it run - there are only two belts on it right now - pulleys for three. when i lay my hand on it while running there is some very mild vibration.
    Could be belts or bearings.

I would for sure go with the Unisaw. American made motors just seem to run better than cheaper Asian ones in my experience.

Blog Entries
    First & foremost, can the saw be fit with a good, easy to use riving knife/guard? I would not consider a saw that can't. There are some good aftermarket ones out there & there are so many old Unisaws around that there is probably one that would fit it.

Since you obviously prefer new, I would go new, with the added benefit of its having a riving knife.

To me, that is a big deal. I have a 1983 or so Unisaw, to which I have added a no longer available Biesemeyer splitter. It is a big improvement, but it is not as good as a riving knife.

A few years after buying the Uni new, I had a rude awakening , when a kickback got me just above where it really counts. The bruise lasted for weeks. I bought the Beis splitter soon after that. It was the best protection available at the time. Now a riving knife is standard equipment, and much more versatile.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 06-06-2019 at 11:58 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Thanks to all for the info, I am pulling the trigger on the 5hp Grizzly with the router table extension in order to get cast iron on both sides of the table then I will ad my own extention to get to the 52" rip. (I am a metal fabricator by trade)
    The difference from 3hp to 5 ho is $75
    Thanks again for all the help.

Thanks to all for the info, I am pulling the trigger on the 5hp Grizzly with the router table extension in order to get cast iron on both sides of the table then I will ad my own extention to get to the 52" rip. (I am a metal fabricator by trade)
    I do not think you will be disappointed with the G1023RLWX. I know I have not been. Bought mine some years ago. One thing I really liked about it is the single serpentine belt. One belt just seems better to me than three I guess. Of course, at my age either belt configuration will probably outlast me.

It it is a very nice saw. I also upgraded from a Craftsman saw, but it was a contractor style. No comparison.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    I do not think you will be disappointed with the G1023RLWX. I know I have not been. Bought mine some years ago. One thing I really liked about it is the single serpentine belt. One belt just seems better to me than three I guess. Of course, at my age either belt configuration will probably outlast me.

It it is a very nice saw. I also upgraded from a Craftsman saw, but it was a contractor style. No comparison.
    I am anticipating the delivery already!

Like a kid at Christmas

Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Grizzly just keeps adding letters to the end of the old G1023 huh? Lol

Make sure you have proper electrical run to the saw. 5hp will surely require a 30A circuit at least, but that will be stated in the manual.

The Griz should also have better dust collection. 5 Horse with a saw cuts quite well.

Blog Entries
    How well have you thought out the need for 52' fence capacity? I ask, because when I got my last saw it had a 52" fence just because I thought it would be good to have. In the 15 years or so that I had the saw, the last 18" or so were only used every few years. Crosscutting sheet goods at that width can be dicey and there are better, safer ways to do it, like a circ saw & guide, or a track saw. My current saw (SawStop PCS) has a 36" fence & I don't miss the old one at all. It's nice to have the extra space too.

I have had my Grizzly cabinet saw for well over 10 years now. I went from a Ryobi saw to the Grizzly. I have no idea how a home-owner makes it through life without a table saw.
    A few years back I was installing new doors inside of our house, just the cheapy Masonite ones with the wood textured outer skin. Had a closet door that was some odd size like 18" or so, they wanted $125 to custom make that door. Had now problems milling the stiles and rails out of the 20" door, cutting new stiles and rails. Modified my own door for less than $50 bucks and not even a full days work.

Hi Steve,

Like you - I am more of a metal guy. I do cnc machining, welding, fabrication, sheet metal, etc. to generate income.
    I have the same Grizzly 1023RLWX that you are ordering. I also opted for the 5HP upgrade as well as the cast iron router table extension. I am not planning on putting a router on it, I wanted it because it adds a nice heavy cast iron extension for about $75. I have a Craftsman table saw that I bought brand new over 30 years ago. I still like the Craftsman, but the difference is "night & day" compared to the Grizzly. The Grizzly is smooth, quiet, with plenty of power. I am impressed with the overall build quality, fit and finish. The Grizzly is much more of a precision tool.

I also ordered the Grizzly sliding table attachment at the same time. The sliding attachment will allow cross cuts in excess of 48" to be made in what I feel is a much safer manner than using a 52" rip fence. I am very impressed with the sliding attachment - very smooth and precise operation. I am running the Grizzly table saw on a 30 amp circuit with a #10 extension cord (shown in the photos).

I modified a Saw Stop blade guard to fit to the Grizzly splitter. This allows for much better dust collection than the stock guard.

I think you will be extremely happy with your new table saw.

David

Grizzly 1023rlwx.jpg Grizzly 1023rlwx cast iron router table extension.jpg SawStop blade guard.jpg Grizzly Table Saw 30 amp female cord cap.jpg Grizzly table saw extension cord - 30 amp circuit.jpg Grizzly Sliding Attachment 1.jpgGrizzly Sliding Attachment 2.jpg Grizzly Sliding Attachment 3.jpg
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 06-07-2019 at 10:39 PM.