Thread: good soft close side mount slides?

good soft close side mount slides?

Short question are these good side mount slides? https://quikdrawers.com/drawer-slide...bearing-slides I am using blum under mounts in the same peace. If not what would be a good match?

I am building a vanity
    20190606_072520.jpg
    2 drawers on left and doors on the right side. The top long slot was just going to be a fake drawer front since the sink needs room. But now I would like to make it into a shallow U shaped drawer that fits around the sink. 3 inch tall and 34 wide with about 2 1/4 inch inside drawer height should be a good place for a lot of small stuff.
    20190606_074936.jpg20190606_075039.jpg
    How should I go about making the curved part of the drawer back? should I resaw and do a bent lamination I am going to use 1/2 inch for the bottom and screw the sides and back on top to maximize my space.

Making the back as a bent lamination will be fun and interesting. But making it with several straight pieces will be easier.

I don't know those particular slides, but my experience with soft-close sidemounts has been bad. They've taken too much force to start the pull out. Fortunately if you find the same, you can fall back to standard sidemounts. No sexy auto-close, but they do work.

I agree with Jamie. If it were me, I'd use straight pieces to work around the sink.

Personally, I use Blum Tandems for most everything. I'd stick with those and you easily shim out to deal with the face frame. You can make shims from scrap or buy the plastic 3/4" or 1" spacers.

I've been very pleased with KV8455M soft close side mounts. They may take a little more force to open than a Blum undermount, but not unreasonably so, and they close beautifully.

https://www.wwhardware.com/kv-8455-s...lides-kv8455fm

John

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I've been very pleased with KV8455M soft close side mounts. They may take a little more force to open than a Blum undermount, but not unreasonably so, and they close beautifully.

https://www.wwhardware.com/kv-8455-s...lides-kv8455fm

John
    I have used over a dozen of these and they work very well.

I have used about a hundred KV soft close slides in my house remodel, made in USA, and worked well.

That being said, I have to admit I made a few mistakes in the kitchen cabinets, and a few drawers ended up being just a touch out of square to the cabinets, resulting in my having to shim them. I watched the video you posted and it appears that your suggested drawer guides would have worked in my situation. I would have gladly paid a couple bucks more for them at the time. They look like a good improvement.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.