Thread: How to fix a Stanley Lateral adjustment lever?

Question How to fix a Stanley Lateral adjustment lever?

All,
    I recently purchase a #5 with a few issues, including a broken horn on the tote. The biggest issue is that the lateral adjustment lever, while present (though bent) is missing the small circular disk that engages the slot in the iron. It seems that, somehow, the disk has popped off, leaving behind a tiny stud. The lever itself is still firmly affixed to the frog with the normal peened-over rod. (I will attempt to remember to grab a picture and attach it later.)

I do not have any machine tools, so any suggestions that I simply turn a new one on my metal lathe are right out <laughs>

Help!

Patrick

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Whitehorn View Post
    All,
    I recently purchase a #5 with a few issues, including a broken horn on the tote. The biggest issue is that the lateral adjustment lever, while present (though bent) is missing the small circular disk that engages the slot in the iron. It seems that, somehow, the disk has popped off, leaving behind a tiny stud. The lever itself is still firmly affixed to the frog with the normal peened-over rod. (I will attempt to remember to grab a picture and attach it later.)

I do not have any machine tools, so any suggestions that I simply turn a new one on my metal lathe are right out <laughs>

Help!

Patrick
    Hi Patrick,

If the rivet holding the lateral lever arm is 'peened-over' you likely have a later type plane than was featured in my old post:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?114373

Your best bet may be to replace the complete lateral lever. There are a few currently listed on the auction site. This would require a few tools and metal working abilities.

The other option would be to repair the lateral adjuster yourself. You do not need a machine shop. You do need some knowledge of how to jerry rig a washer to do the job and possibly how to make rivets out of a nail. If you do not have a decent vise, drill, hacksaw, files, punches and a few other items repair or replacement might require a friend or neighbor who does.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

They make washers to fit pop rivets...find one about the right size....and JB Weld the "disc"(2 ?) in place. The disc does not have to rotate, merely has to engage (fit) the iron's slot. May need two of those washers, to make the right thickness....just JB them together....clean things up, AFTER the JB Weld cures....

Buy a replacement frog. They come cheap.

You might consider sending it to someone with a metal lathe and ask them to fix it. It's not at all hard to turn a disc the right diameter and then peen it in place.

Of course we all like our tools to be “complete”, but the lateral adjuster doesn’t keep it from being a good user. A light tap from a hammer left or right can even things up nicely.

I might have a few of those washers...maybe a mailing address away from me sending them out....JB Weld is up to you...

On a different avenue, is the plane a good user? If it is, it's worth fixing up. OTOH, if it's not a "good" plane, #5s are plentiful, you may find another pretty cheap in better condition. Personally, the broken horn on the tote is a bigger issue to me. As mentioned, a light tap can align your blade laterally. If you find another, you have spare parts. I have a few 5s that I've collected, some are better than others. One of my favorites is actually a vintage (sigh) Craftsman corrugated sole.

All,
    Thank you for the advice and suggestions - I think that I might first try the washer idea (thanks, Steven).

I did not buy this #5 with the idea that it would be my main #5, but rather that it might make a decent plane to use with a shooting board. As you can see, it is not in great shape (I have the hardware off to clean it up), but for $18 I thought it might at least have a few parts that would be worth the price even if I could not make it work as a shooting plane. I even thought that I could take off the tote with the broken horn and find a way to create a new handle (grip?) that would make it much easier to hold and use on a shooting board.

Patrick

20190611_192646-scaled.jpg
    20190611_192611-scaled.jpg

Blog Entries
    Patrick,

The chip out of the front looks just like a couple of my planes.

A file was used to smooth it a bit. It is now much more comfortable.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

5 washers have been mailed out, this afternoon....have fun

Let me know when they arrive...and how they work out...

Steven,
    They arrived on Saturday, but I have yet to find time to get them installed thus far. Thanks again!