Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stickley #1026 Cabinet in White Oak

Stickley #1026 Cabinet in White Oak

I made a pair of these white oak cabinets to be used as nightstands. The design is a near copy of Stickley cabinet #1026. I got the approximate dimensions by scaling the photo on their website. One small change I made was to taper the leg width from 1 1/4" at the top to 1 5/8" at the bottom.

Left.jpg Right.jpg LeftB.jpg RightC.jpg Side.jpg

The finish is based on Homestead Finishing's Mission Oak Finish guide.

• one coat of BLO, instead of the suggested stain
    • one coat of General Finishes Seal-A-Cell Clear
    • scuff sand
    • apply General Finishes American Oak Gel Stain, then wipe clean
    • wipe on poly, instead of the suggested ArmRSeal

Very Handsome cabinets, Jay. Nice execution and lots of flake in that QSWO.

Well done Jay, flawless!

Very good work. Not the easiest material to work with and the matching of each piece of wood is very apparent.
    Jim

I'm a certified Arts and Crafts furniture nut and feel blessed to own several pieces of Stickley. I must say you nailed it. The finish is very close to their "Fayetteville". You did a great job with wood selection as well. With white oak a uniformity of grain across a whole piece is a tough trick. Well done.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Beautifully done Sir.

Wow! Beautiful!

Really nice, Jay. And love the hardware.

Beautiful work Jay!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Great looking wood, great looking cabinets and great craftsmanship. Well Done...
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Looks great!

Nice job Jay. The taper is just right - nice and subtle: ya feel it before ya see it. And the mirrored grain on that end panel is a great touch. Well done.

I love those cabinets, Jay. The color is delectable as is the oak grain. Beautifully done.

I notice the door is narrower than the drawer. Is this expressly for the hinges ?

Lovely fitting of door and drawers. Any pics of door open and drawer? Hardware is bolted on?
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Thanks to all for your encouraging complements. There are plenty of flaws in the craftsmanship, but I'm not going to share closeups to make them more obvious! Perfection is elusive.

Here are some answers to your questions.

The door and drawer pulls are from House of Antique Hardware. They are each attached with four screws from the front.

Yes, the door is narrower than the drawer. There is a 1/4 inch spacer on either side of the door, to allow for the hinge. I think this is a fairly common arrangement when a door is set back from the adjoining frame members (in this case, the legs). If you preferred the widths to match, you could of course add spacers on either side of the drawer.

I will add some pictures with the drawer and door open. I was hiding the rather poor dovetails.

This is my second project to use that finish from Homestead Finishing's Mission Oak Finish guide. It has been my first foray into slightly more sophisticated finishing. They present imitations for some other Stickley finishes. I'll have to try one of the others next time.