Thread: Sand Table - Which finishing nails to join cedar to poplar?

Sand Table - Which finishing nails to join cedar to poplar?

Hi All. I'm building a sand table for my daughter, and (long story, don't ask) I ended up buying some cedar and poplar for the face frame, which is basically two long runs (poplar) with three braces (cedar) on either end and one in the middle. The face frame doesn't have to hold any weight, and I'm pretty sure if I just glued it up it would hold up fine. However, I want to drive finishing nails for good measure, and to try out my finishing nailer. Does anyone have a recommendation as to the kind of nails I should be using? My finishing nailer (DWFP71917) uses 16 gauge straight finish nails. Sounds like I don't have a lot of options, but just thought I'd ask, as I've never used one before.

Thanks!

P.S. I posted this question elsewhere. Is that against the forum rules?

When I work with cedar it is Stainless steel nails.

When I work with cedar it is Stainless steel nails.
    Agree - -SS won't stain the cedar. SS is pricey as all get out though.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I have a Bostitch finish nailer and thought I only should use the same brand nail. The I found that the nail type ( and size) is the only thing that is critical. I use a lot of Paslode nails now because that’s the brand my local hardware stocks. The I go to Menards and they have multiple brands. I agree with using stainless steel.